Adorable baby skunk is adorable

Best enjoyed with one of these:

2 Likes

Wild animals generally don’t make good pets, and it tends not to be a great deal for the animals either. So skunks are friendly, social, and curious animals but its still a wild animal. They can get agressive and they’ll do wild animal shit like burrow into your walls to make a nest.

There’s a reason my uncle ended up with a couple skunk kits through a wild life refuge, and theres a reason keeping them as pets is illegal in many places. Most people who get skunks as pets care for them poorly and end up getting them seized. Or abandon them when they get older and harder to handle. And once socialized to humans, and especially if they’re de-skunked, they cant be released into the wild because they won’t survive. They wont know how to care for themselves and they won’t have their main defense mechanism. Like I said, skunks are friendly, they’ll walk right up to a predator to say hi. They’re an animal most things in the wild are gonna ignore or avoid so they don’t need to be skittish.

So there are tons of skunks clogging up wild life rescues and animal shelters that need to be dealt with. And that’s what my uncle did, he nursed injured animals and raised baby animals improperly taken from the wild for eventual release. The skunks stayed because they got along with the dogs and couldn’t be released.

4 Likes

One time I put out a trail cam in my garage to see who was breaking in, tearing open bags of fancy bird seed, scattering it over the floor, eating the peanuts, and leaving everything else. It was skunks, and they were getting in through a crack under the door that was only about 1-1/2" tall.

4 Likes

My dog also loved skunks. He met one once, and while nose-to-nose with it, barked in it’s face, causing it to spray all over the yard behind it. The skunk, realising it had just thrown away it’s only real defensive weapon, ran away. My dog on the other hand, did not care, because he was too busy rolling in the wonderful new smell he had discovered.

9 Likes

Mama skunk: ‘Look, children, a UFO!’
Kids: ‘Ooooooh!’

5 Likes

:purple_heart: thank you :purple_heart:

5 Likes

Snuggly little stinky furball. :sparkling_heart:

6 Likes

Animal Planet, circa 2010, put out a whole series of videos about the pros and cons of having different animals as pets. This is what they had to say about adopting skunks.

3 Likes

I once sat on a hillside in the golden California sunset light & watched a skunk walk across the opposite hillside. They are incredibly fast & the black-&-white stripe at twilight made it look like the skunk was just flowing over the terrain, like a snake.

5 Likes

Many years ago, I was in a mall in Kentucky and poked into the pet store. They had a baby chocolate brown skunk, and when I picked him up, he made adorable squeaking sounds and held onto my finger. I was a month away from moving to a state that didn’t allow pet skunks, but those eyes almost made me cancel my move and adopt the little guy. I still think about how cute he was.

(adorable brown skunk example)

7 Likes

Oh. My. God! :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:
That’s just being overwhelmed with cute!
I get hedgehogs in my garden, and last year had a couple of hoglets, one of them I found fast asleep in the shade on my lawn, on a very hot Sunday, and thought it was adorable, but that skunk family beats it by a factor of ten!
Great video, btw. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

1 Like

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.