Who knew removing a jar from a skunk's head could be so simple? (Video)

Originally published at: Who knew removing a jar from a skunk's head could be so simple? (Video) | Boing Boing

14 Likes

Stinky business. Stinky business now…

2 Likes

“You took my magic helmet”

13 Likes

I’ve known this for years: if you are trying to live-capture and re-release a skunk, just be sure to cover your have-a-heart trap in burlap or canvas. It keeps them calm and prevents them from spraying, somehow, even when you are carrying or driving the cage somewhere to release them. Skunks are actually very chill. They don’t worry too much about being messed with. I saw my wife shooing one off of a cabin porch with a straw broom. I thought for sure she was gonna get it, but the skunk just grunted and left peacefully.

13 Likes

“They got it covered…”

Guardians Of The Galaxy Wink GIF

11 Likes

As a non-North-American I’m obliged to ask: why the &#&^$#& is the police doing that job?

7 Likes

Maybe because it’s a small town?

3 Likes

I learned this same trick from the animal control guy who got two skunks out from under my house. They won’t spray if they can’t see you, so approach with a blanket held up like the officer shows, and they’ll be chill. They’re not as hair trigger with the juice as I imagined they would be, it turns out. They’re pretty mellow animals, generally.

9 Likes

11 Likes

i fully was expecting a car to come racing down the street and hit the little guy. most skunks i see are the flattened kind : (

3 Likes

What weird and wonderful noises! and so desperately cute!

17 Likes

Most animals are pretty cautious about totally depleting their defense systems. If you use up all your stink juice in one-shot, you don’t have anything left in the tank if you get if you get attacked again soon after. It can take days/weeks to recharge the skunk stink tank.

6 Likes

I assume the jar is there because this possum wanted to further humiliate the skunk.

5 Likes

'cause it was, er, not entirely white?

Another truly wonderful thing. Wow, two in one week!

3 Likes

A whole bouquet of “Flowers”!

bambi GIF

6 Likes

https://theinfinitekitchen.com/advices/faq-how-to-cook-skunk/

Omg that is adorable. I would be terrified though. I think I would have ridden away in fear upon seeing them coming. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

awwww :smiley:

I love that she turns back for a farewell as he waves goodbye.

3 Likes

Oooh, I get to trot out my favorite piece of product-design trivia. Yoplait yogurt cups have a little “foot” around the bottom, which was added specifically to allow skunks to be able to push the cups off their heads. It is (or was) a common thing for skunks to lick yogurt off the bottom and not be able to get their heads out - that inverted-cone design is perfect for trapping them in there. You’re supposed to crack or crush them too - there’s even a little “be kind to animals - crush this cup” warning on the side.

7 Likes