Watch a possum bodyslam a skunk

Originally published at: Watch a possum bodyslam a skunk | Boing Boing

9 Likes

My brain immediately played “Holiday in Cambodia” when the vid started, what’s wrong with me…

9 Likes

Wrestling Pants GIF by Grease Live

17 Likes

Wait, what! I’ve been lead to believe that possums play dead and skunks spray stinky stuff.

Did that possum forget how to possum and that skunk forget how to skunk?

27 Likes
  1. I want to know whose doorbell is 1" off the ground(!!!)
  2. Can’t we all just get along??!!
9 Likes

I did not start the day anticipating I’d see an extended video of skunk-anus.

15 Likes

The real question is did it improve or worsen your day?

15 Likes

…kind of maintained the status quo? It’s a skunk-butt kind of day! :man_shrugging:t2:

17 Likes

In a fair fight, there isn’t much that a possum is afraid of. They can be very vicious fighters. That skunk is sort of small, it might still be a juvenile. But to use the spray, it has to turn its back to its victim. Most animals that have encountered a skunk before recognize this behavior and will hesitate to attack. Possums, not so much, and I think that explains Mr. Skunks hesitation to show his butt to Mr. Possum.

7 Likes

One should also consider an opossum’s stress-induced defense mechanism of playing dead (actually more akin to fainting) where they excrete large amounts of green mucus from their anal glands that suggests “decay” to predators, so it’s kind of a toss-up as to who smells the worst.

9 Likes

My wife caught our barn possum going to town on some turkey eggs. We were fine with the fellow hanging out and eating feed. He didn’t bother the flock and he was downright chill about hanging out with the barn cats. But when she saw him eating eggs, her recognition of lost income over hatchlings overruled her good judgment and she snatched the little bugger up by his scruff and tossed him into a cage.

She discovered this defense mechanism in that moment. I like to think that expression he’s wearing is saying “I’m sorry about the smell but you scared me! Can I still have grain?”

14 Likes

women wrestling vice GIF by THE WRESTLERS

11 Likes

:flushed:

Yeesh. I encountered a possum mom once in my treehouse and that was more than enough for me to never want to get near one again. Your wife must be made of iron.

8 Likes

Bummer That Sucks GIF

6 Likes

Worst thing I’ve ever smelt. Fouler than skunk but fortunately not as penetrating.

I generally try to avoid crossing her. She acknowledged after the fact that it was poorly thought out. The little guy fortunately didn’t have time to do more than squeak and foul his immediate vicinity, as the transport cages are stored right by the nest boxes. She allowed me to handle his relocation the following day, with appropriately thick gloves.

12 Likes

Now I’m reminded of the time my brothers had the misfortune of standing behind the hippo at the Denver Zoo…

Angry Deep Breath GIF by coopypoopicus

12 Likes

Oh no…I’ve seen that gif!

8 Likes

No. But you know how professional wrestling goes.

7 Likes

Right?! It really should serve as a nightcap.

4 Likes

Somewhere between this and that and the time my Intermediate School class went to the Honolulu Zoo and the gorilla got pissed off and started flinging poo. The kids were picking out flecks from then until the bus going home.

2 Likes