A possum holds a woman "hostage" at her home in New Zealand

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/11/15/a-possum-holds-a-woman-hostage-at-her-home-in-new-zealand.html

12 Likes

20 Likes

Of all the native Australian animals which might plausibly hold someone hostage in their home…

13 Likes

Stop laughing! This is serious!
It is also the scariest thing to happen in New Zealand this year.
That is not one of your tiny North American Opossums, that’s a huge Australian possum, and they’re 3 metres tall and shoot laser beams out of their eyes.
Juvenile? The article should have described it as “Teenaged, drug dealing”. It was probably smoking a cigarette too.
Bloody possums.

22 Likes

It was just playing.

3 Likes

Timmy never did get out of the well, since no one paid any attention to what his pet possum was trying to tell them.

14 Likes

He’s just playing “possum” with you.

2 Likes

This is the one time where I read the headline, and could see how.

I mean a possum, those are ugly and nasty looking things. Wait, we’re talking about the Virginia Opossum right? No? Australian Possum? Those things that are ridiculously soft and cute for a “possum”? Famous for “breaking and entering a bakery, then just giving up?”. The one thing in Australia that isn’t trying to kill you?

15 Likes

He’s so cute!

4 Likes

It’s like a humorous anime sidekick came to life!

8 Likes

Other people out there, living my dreams.

3 Likes

Someday soon, as the ice melts, the Antarctic possums will wake.

3 Likes

Pretty sure that’s Japanese squirrels, but these guys can have a close second.

9 Likes

You could be onto something but I’m going to need to see it stuffed full of pilfered pastries to the point of feeling regret before I can really be sure.

2 Likes

“police delivered the possum up to nearby lookout spot Signal Hill and released it into the wild “to prevent further citizen harassment””
I hope this is code for “The possum has gone to live on a nice farm in the country”.

There’s a possum after my own heart. I’ll bet the damn fool had one hell of a sugar high hangover the next day.

4 Likes

A very restrained response, in the best tradition of the NZ police force.

7 Likes

released it into the wild

That’s a curious solution considering brush tailed possums are an introduced pest in NZ. They are not native to the islands. While one out of 30MM wouldn’t make much difference, it probably should have been humanely euthanized.

1 Like

Technically it may have started as an “invasive species”, but with 30 million running around today, having established a niche for themselves, and no effort being made to control them, you now have to consider them “naturalized”.

And given the way American cops have adapted to slaughtering unwanted animals, it’s not something I’d encourage anywhere else.

1 Like

From the studio that brought you ‘Mortal Wombat’ comes ‘Pernicious Possum’