This Australian possum is just happy to be here

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/01/18/this-australian-possum-is-just.html

5 Likes

Look at it’s little paws!!!

14 Likes

So cute!!

9 Likes

Look at those eyes. It’s moving in for the kill.

7 Likes

But the paws! So cute!

13 Likes

They are adorable! Also, not long for this world.

This is a New Zealand possum, and they are incredibly soft and snuggly, but also are an invasive species that’s destroying the native wildlife in NZ… so they’ve launched a program to completely eradicate it by 2050. As well as all other small predators. It’s kinda crazy, but well, NZ.

5 Likes

Makes note to create new meme: Overly Positive Possum

12 Likes

But it would be so cute as it’s ripping my throat out!!

6 Likes

Frankly I wish NZ success. The NZ ecosystem had no native land mammals. Those that are there now were all introduced by humans. Australian possums were introduced to NZ to be raised for their fur, escaped, and once loose in an ecosystem with no natural predators they created a lot of damage. Australian possums aren’t threatened in their natural habitat, getting rid of them in NZ would be akin to getting rid of fire ants in the US.

11 Likes

10 Likes

11 Likes

Me too. When I visited there a few years back, that fact blew my mind. Learning about the damage they’ve caused to the kiwi and poor kakapo made me understand why they want to get rid of the fuzzy little dudes completely.

8 Likes

10 Likes

16 Likes

16 Likes

16 Likes

Right on!

12 Likes

16 Likes

30 Likes

That programme is actually pretty cool.

Sir Paul was my physics lecturer for first year physics, back in the day, and he was a really neat and good guy. He died a few weeks after this speech.

4 Likes