This Australian possum is just happy to be here

I totally agree. I’d love to see NZ return to its native wildlife. I have a lot of affection for the Kiwi “aw fuckit, let’s do this” attitude; committing to completely eradicating all invasive species is such a huge, bonkers proposal that can think of few other countries who’d attempt it.

5 Likes

52 Likes

One of the things I like about it is Callaghan’s honesty: “So, that’s a great idea, but how will we do it?” “I have no idea, but I trust that future generations of scientists and engineers will figure out the problems, as long as they’re funded and supported to do so.”

One of the hardest species to eradicate will probably be cats - folks really REALLY don’t want to give up their kittehs, despite the holocaust they’re causing.

6 Likes

Hands up! Don’t shoot!

3 Likes

OMG. I just snorted so loud that my office neighbor knocked on the wall to see if I was OK.

7 Likes

#marsupiallivesmatter

5 Likes

7 Likes

8 Likes

no they don’t :mad:

15 Likes

11 Likes

So the person doing this would be praised and adulated and never have to pay for BBQ again?

5 Likes

It’s like the cute and fuzzy version of Success Kid.

10 Likes

I’ve never been, but have been really fascinated by NZ for a while since I am a little bird obsessed, and in NZ birds have filled a lot of ecological niches typically filled by mammals, so there’s all kinds of odd and fascinating things going on there. When I learned about the Kea, a carnivorous parrot (well, omnivorous), my mind was blown. I’d love to see kiwis in their native habitat. Horrific that that the kakapo is near extinction because of invasive species, they’re amazing - a flightless parrot.

3 Likes

8 Likes

I learned about kakapos thanks to Last Chance to See, and was fascinated by them since. The kakapos are starting to recover (very very slowly) now that they’ve been given their own predator-free islands.

Kiwis are completely bizarre. They look like fuzzy bouncing footballs. They occupy a weird niche somewhere that’s mostly bird but with some mammal thrown in: they have hairy feathers, whiskers on their beak, and lay an egg that’s nearly the size of their entire torso.

2 Likes

Tuataras. Evolution took one look at them and thought “Screw it. Close enough.” Last lizard of their kind.

Getting a Rocky vibe from the possum too.

8 Likes

My first thought as well

2 Likes

13 Likes

How about Fay Wray in one fist and Jessica Lange in the other?

2 Likes