5 Likes

Also:

12 Likes

well maybe now they’ll regret trying to get rid of the cat infestation

2 Likes

That was NZ, wasn’t it?

4 Likes

That was NZ, wasn’t it?

Yes. NZ’s birds do things like make themselves a nest in a bowl at the top of a hill then yell their head off to find a mate, then freeze when danger shows up. Poorly adapted for the presence of predators, so yeah, cats are not welcome.

I saw that mice footage and two things came to mind: :slightly_smiling_face: :thinking:

• My biggest (11kg) and most proficient mouser was good for at most 6 mice a day, then it was time to digest. So, sorry, even my ex-barn cat would be out of his depth there.
  • MPEG video compression doesn’t work well on swarms of mice.

It’s rabbits that both Aus and NZ struggle with. They even have an Easter Bunny Hunt in the south island of NZ… :open_mouth:

11 Likes

You know what follows plagues of mice? Plagues of snakes.

11 Likes

Nothing to fool around with, Mate.

10 Likes

Australia should start watching Shawn Woods: https://youtu.be/EKyIcX6I_AQ

1 Like

I’m sure they’ll be hoping to follow up their stunning success against the emus.

1 Like

This is a regular thing in Australia. Invasive species.

6 Likes

Next the world

1 Like

At least the local owls are likely quite happy about this.

3 Likes

See, this is why I’m keeping Australia on my virtual travel and tourism list. :grimacing:

3 Likes

I was referring to Australia’s ongoing cat infestation but I guess NZ is the one who has really done something about it.

Australia just needs to divert some of its feral cats to the right places

2 Likes

Skip straight to releasing the gorillas to save time.

4 Likes

I kind of like mice, but that’s too many.

1 Like

Does Australia have a Tourism board/department? 'Cause, that is one job I would not wish on anyone.

Quite well paid too

If they would let me in I would go there tomorrow, well maybe where there aren’t impending floods

1 Like

Yeah, feral cats are always a wildlife problem. But you know what you get with a plague of mice?..Lots of fat snakes.
I lived in a wheatbelt town once and it was just an average year - not the favourable season that has resulted in such a bumper year for grains that we are experiencing now - but mice were still prevalent. My dog would sometimes get under the couch and scratch madly at the lining. I didn’t realise it was probably to get at mice. One night I was about to hit the sack and I peeled back the quilt on my bed and there was this large snake coiled up. I thought it was a bad taste practical joke some locals had played - to put a dead snake in my bed. Except this one was alive, and about 5 feet long. It slithered out the bedroom and found it’s way to the kitchen, under a pantry door and down a knot hole in the wood floor. Freaked me out. A friend told me that it wasn’t a prank. It had just found someplace dark and warm to crawl into - my bed - and that it was only around to live off the mice. You can take your grain towns and shove 'em.

2 Likes