Mice, infesting Antarctic island and eating the birds, to be exterminated

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/03/18/mice-infesting-antarctic-island-and-eating-the-birds-to-be-exterminated.html

11 Likes

resolution exterminate GIF by Doctor Who

7 Likes

So long as they keep a weather eye to past attempts to fix an introduced rodent problem by introducing something else etc…

link

The Bizarre History Of The Mongoose In Hawaii And Why Colonial Sugar Barons Are To Blame For The Havoc It’s Caused

Rich plantation owners in the 1880s were so desperate to combat the rats eating their sugarcane that they brought the mongoose to Hawaii — and the government still can’t get rid of them to this day …

(There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly)

13 Likes

12 Likes
3 Likes

Why not just introduce cats to hunt the mice? I’m sure there’s no possible way that could go wrong. /s

9 Likes

came here to say this. Everyone loves cats!

6 Likes

Good luck with that. My dad had a job as a teen killing rats at a junk yard for awhile. There always seemed to be more rats.

4 Likes

Mice have one main defense system in place to keep their species going; excessive breeding.

6 Likes

Rodent eradication is a pretty solid technique, now. Lots of places have been declared rodent-free. South Georgia Island is much larger and was declared rodent-free like five years ago.

There’s chunks of New Zealand that have been cleared, too - the peninsula that Wellington is on is getting cleared zone by zone, and many islands have been reset to more or less native habitat.

10 Likes

Possibly the best Dollop episode ever covered The Animal Horror of Macquarie Island. Very funny poscast that really shows what hqppens when island ecosystems are altered.

2 Likes

My aunt and uncle are bird population biologists (has some formal name I can’t remember) and spent some time on Ascension Island on a project related to getting rid of feral cats there. It was pretty interesting and an example of a rare ecological victory I think:

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.