Cool no-kill mousetrap traps mouse in soda bottle

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/27/cool-no-kill-mousetrap-traps-m.html

5 Likes

Hi Mark,

please stop promoting this Youtube channel. The owner is doing and filming all kinds of cruel “experiments” how to kill mice. Strangling them. Chopping them in half with a Guillotine. That is what he also “uses” some the captured mice for, as he has stated before. You don’t seem to me like the kind of guy that wants to encourage that kind of cruelty towards animals.

I’m surprised this actually works. My expectation is that the mouse would chew off the bottom of the bottle where the feet are in about half an hour and escape.

2 Likes

He is testing mouse and rat traps. He disparages those which are cruel (such as glue traps) or ineffective. For those of us with infestations, this is a valuable service.

FWIW, releases most of the mice trapped in the humane traps out in the fields, and he even raises mice as pets (including two show breeds).

2 Likes

There are show breeds? Of kitty toys?

1 Like

Yes. Some of them are pretty cute. (I say that even though I am currently at war with a rat.)

Technically mus musculus domesticus is an invasive species and extermination is the only environmentally responsible position. Out in the fields the native wood mouse out competes the rather lazy European house mouse, so it’s not normally a big issue to release them. (only applies to North America excluding Hawaii)

4 Likes

I certainly am against animal cruelty but definitely certain rodents are invasive species and catching them and releasing them back would do more damage than to not dispose of them.

1 Like

I agree with this, which is why a resource comparing mouse trap effectiveness is so useful. (The alternative to trapping is poison, which has its own problems, starting with predators getting poisoned as a result. I will probably end up using poison for our large rat, but I hate having to do that.)

1 Like

Yeah, in my area the mountain lions get poisoned by eating poisoned rats. Poison is something you have to use in a very controlled and monitored way to avoid complications.

I poison spiders (black widows) and an invasive ant species (argentine ant) in my yard and house. I don’t necessarily have to killed the black widows, but I don’t really want them all up in my business, nor do I want to take my cats to the emergency vet. The poison is moderately nasty stuff, but breaks down quickly. I’d rather reapply it once a month, as needed, than have something persistent in the environment that I can’t control.

1 Like

The guy’s barn rat is always the first to drop by and basically take apart the mouse trap.

If you want to catch rats, you need a dog and a mink:

4 Likes

thats clever, but where is the moving sidewalk and rotating knives?

2 Likes

It’s just like that old Jim Croce song, “If I Could Save Mice In A Bottle”. . . that was the song, right?

1 Like

My last dog (a terrier!) was useless with rats, she used to pretend not to see them when they were right in front of her. We can’t have minks, but mongooses were brought into my state in the 1800s by plantation owners to control rats, they were effective for a while but nowadays mainly stalk garbage cans.

We’re also delightfully free of cobras.

2 Likes

“Good Mink! Good Mink!”

The dog and mink DO make a good team!

I wish I knew someone with a pet ferret…I already know someone with a rat-killing dog, much to her owner’s dismay.

1 Like

that pup’s got some greyhound in him

1 Like

Hey! I just realized that this bottle trap is half-way to free beer a la Strange Brew!

2 Likes

… and the murals depicting mediterranean scenes?

2 Likes

…and the chutes - have to have the chutes.

2 Likes

“My life has been building up to this!”

1 Like