Testing out the "Double Humane Mousetrap"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/24/double-humane-mousetrap.html

If the trap doesn’t work, free replacement… with what? Another trap that doesn’t work?

2 Likes

“Mousetrap Monday” ???

Monday is Bongo Day!

No, if the trap kills the mouse you get a free new mouse.

7 Likes

Is it morally wrong to send in the same mouse, again and again? What if his name is Sisyphus?

1 Like

I think we should think of him as a happy mouse!

1 Like

no good - too big to drown them in bucket after you caught them.

I have never understood the purpose of “humane” mouse traps - I prefer the old spring-loaded, instantly lethal traps over ones that keep the mouse alive to slowly starve to death because you forgot where you set it. That old style “Snap!” when the trap trips lets you know you got one and you can just toss the trap and mouse out together if you are squeamish or just drop the mouse into the compost pile and save the trap for re-use. I have no desire to gently capture and then return a mouse or rat back into the wild where it is again free to mate and make lots more disease and plague-carrying offspring.

1 Like

I beg to differ. When I was a young boy, we had a trap like that that caught a mouse but did NOT kill it (it was pinned by its stomach). Since it was me, my mom and my sister, I was elected to get rid of the squirming, squeaking thing. Rodents are VERY hard to kill. I tend to loathe rodents (except for one lab rat at a party and I was quite drunk) and my giant black cat, Satan, has been my trap for the recent infestation of our building due to a new hotel going up nearby (since this is Austin, I think there is some sort of law that a new hotel MUST go up in the vicinity of where 5, 7 or more people gather). I am seriously considering trying to make Austin “The City of [building] Cranes” official.

It’s double humane because the mouse gets a pension and healthcare for life after getting caught.

2 Likes

Because that way you still get to dress up the mouse in a tiny gladiator costume and drop it into a miniature arena with your cat.

2 Likes

These translucent plastic traps are not so humane, as the air flow is usually not enough for the mouse. Even though this one claims improved ventilation, you can see that the trap has steamed up with the mouse inside.

I’m having a problem right now with a clever rat. My usual vermin trap is an electric one, which generally works well, but this time the rat was able to get the bait and survive – twice, though the second time the shock must have been strong enough to bother him, as there was regurgitated peanut at the mouth of the trap. Then I set some spring traps, but one has just been ignored and the other has been sprung twice (and the bait taken) without any damage to the rat. Woods has tested some 15th 16th century traps on his videos, building one of those is probably my next step.

You need a really big electric trap to zap a rat. I think the diving board trap is the most effective way to catch rats. To nail the extra smart ones you need to set things up so that the rat can’t just balance on the edge of your bucket. Or you can get one of those hundred dollar compressed air cartridge powered captive bolt traps…

We’ve had good luck with our electric zappers, but this time it didn’t work; perhaps the capacitor is failing. Because of the location the diving board traps are out. If the Goodnature compressed gas traps were only $100 I’d buy one.

1 Like

OK, I saw our rat tonight and now understand why none of our traps is working: the thing is a monster, it wouldn’t fit in electric rat trap. It must be all that peanut butter I’ve been feeding it.

1 Like

“Just use a handy stick to press the door down to let the mouse out. Stick not included”

There are much simpler humane mousetraps where you just turn the thing over, the door falls open, and the mouse is free. No setting spring-loaded doors to set the trap, nor pushing them with a stick needed.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.