Advertisement from 1937 features one-wheel skates

Originally published at: Advertisement from 1937 features one-wheel skates - Boing Boing

3 Likes

c1907 Ozma of Oz: Beware the wheelers!

10 Likes

Back in the day, ski boots were much shorter, and so you did need stronger/more stable ankle musculature. These seem like a treatment that’s worse than the disease, however.

5 Likes
5 Likes

The anchor point is just below the knee, so the ankle strain might have not been too bad.

The knee strain, though…

3 Likes

Desus And Mero Pass GIF by Bernie Sanders

8 Likes

There are so many interesting styles of strapping wheels to your feet. (or just… placing wheels under them I guess)
o f r

The modern version of the large-wheel variety is pretty excessive looking, though
c

4 Likes

Option #1 looks very cyberpunk :sunglasses::+1:

2 Likes

See them in use.

8 Likes

4 Likes

In this film, the wheels and straps are on the inside of the leg, whereas they are on the outside in the advertisement. I wonder which is easier?

5 Likes

7 Likes

That fourth picture confused me at first, until I realised it was a Giant with a Penny-Farthing strapped to each foot.

3 Likes

Cool; they seem to work rather well with the ski-sticks.

2 Likes

Those things still give me the heebie-jeebies. Just seeing the large wheel skates was enough to set off some mild PTSD

1 Like

1 Like

Big Wheel Nascar GIF by FOX Sports: Watch. Enjoy. Repeat.

1 Like

Missed the whole Heelys fad? Lucky you!
LsgNw4

2 Likes

Experience the sheer hilarity of treacherous icy conditions all year round!
Even in sunny south California! Take that, Canada!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.