Affinity Photo is an awesome low cost Photoshop alternative

I love GIMP, it’s what I use. But I use linux, and unless GIMP has become very snappy on Mac systems in the last few years… I would totally understand someone choosing a program that boots quickly and does what you need well. Let’s be real, if you’re buying into the Apple ecosystem, you probably aren’t trying to be in total control of your software tools, and you probably aren’t trying to save $50.

2 Likes

I think the entire point of using an Apple is to be in control of the software you purchase, which is why a lot of graphics professionals aren’t happy with the idea of subscribing to Photoshop rather than owning it. And as an Apple-using freelancer who’s been using the same computer for the last 11 years (not a bad value, I’d say), saving $50 is still pretty important to me… but I’d rather spend $50 on a well made piece of software than struggle with a ganky free program that doesn’t have the tools I need.

3 Likes

Even a pleasant feeling along with Photoshop.

I must be a very low-requirements user, but I find Paint.Net does pretty much everything I need from an image editor, and is very easy to use. (Obviously not for professional purposes, of course.)

1 Like

I hate subscription models and my relationship with Adobe is well past the irretrievable breakdown stage, but I must admit that Photoshop is still the best software solution if you work with gorillas.

2 Likes

I’m still looking for that as well. Except I do a lot of timelape movies and my collection is nearly 500000 images.
Nearly all apps I’ve tried choke on that amount.

Currently I just use exiftool form a cmdline script to keep everything neatly organized by date/time and I have some custom hackery which creates a sort of ‘digest’ of the 500000 images by linking 1 image every 10 minutes.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.