"Africa" by Toto performed entirely on electrical zaps from Tesla Coils

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/19/africa-by-toto-performed-e.html

11 Likes

Dalek mating rituals are the best!

29 Likes

This one’s much better IMO:

9 Likes

This thing gives the FloppyTron a run for its money.
Nothing like a few million volts to throw the competition for a loop.
More more more!!!

2 Likes

“Africa” as played by Daleks - they really exterminated it.

6 Likes

That was … striking?

(But these Tesla coil tunes will prove to be just a flash in the pan.)

When it comes to Daleks, Missy should know!

5 Likes

Africa: the song that absolutely and positively refuses to die. Dammit!

6 Likes

Electrons, is there anything they can’t do?

7 Likes

Touch one another :cry:

15 Likes

Are they in quarantine as well? :thinking:

6 Likes

They can if they’re spin paired in love. If by “touch” you mean merge in a complex whirling yet motionless dance where the dancers cannot be distinguished one from the other e.g.

Though if you extend the analogy to the electrons in lightning, it’s more like a dexedrine-fuelled seventies suburban key party at the speed of light

8 Likes

When I finally get around to taking over the world, my robot army will use tesla coils instead of speakers to address my subjects. That should do nicely…

4 Likes

As someone who had to put up with them when their stuff was nigh-unavoidable on the radio, I’m well and fully done with the various recent attempts to pretend that Toto didn’t suck.

3 Likes

Singing bug zappers!

1 Like

It looks even better in person and sounds almost the same, just without the beat / percussion backing track.

So why add a needless percussion backing track to the video to muddle the actual tesla coil sound?

I didn’t realize the rains down in Africa came with so much lightning.

11 Likes

spdf!!!

prefer this Africa version: https://youtu.be/jRLfGwQ7Nsw

5 Likes

Now that IS a wonderful thing! Thanks.

4 Likes

I wonder if he’s covered anything from Smashing Pumpkins’ Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness. :thinking:

2 Likes