After 8-year absence from YouTube, co-founder posts comment about comment policy

Person who founds big internet company turns out to be socially inept? The heck you say.

3 Likes

I think people should be allowed to make anonymous, hateful comments online, but I see no reason why YouTube should have to provide the forum for them to do so.

3 Likes

Good luck with that. My first experience with YouTubeā€™s new comments was seeing two people (who were using their real names)ā€¦

cybering. For 188 replies worth.

3 Likes

BB tends to have a soft spot for anything Google.

i feel like itā€™s just not youtube without some racial slurs and someone telling me to vote for ron paul. iā€™m being serious. itā€™s like a self generated fountain of gloriously perverse poetry. luckily, it doesnā€™t seem to be working.

2 Likes

Related video

4 Likes

Iā€™d give up commenting on youtube videos, or even the entire internet, for half a kajillion dollars. Hell, give me $50K and Iā€™m out of here.

5 Likes

Does youtube really need a comments section at all? Most of youtube isnā€™t content thatā€™s enhanced by the comments. Even if you were to eliminate the worst of the worst and the stupidest of the stupid, youā€™d still be left with not much that adds any value. The occasional youtube video where someone has something interesting to add can be discussed just as well or better when itā€™s shared on another site, like when itā€™s part of a blog discussing it or when itā€™s shared as a facebook post. I donā€™t ever read youtube comments and Iā€™m not missing out on anything. Itā€™s a part of the youtube experience that the negatives way outweigh the positives. Iā€™d scrap it entirely if I were them.

1 Like

At this late stage in the game, not even a Clone Army of Our Favourite San Franciscan could make a dent in YouTube Comments.

1 Like

O/T, but I read a story today about a drug-trafficker who is required to fork over Ā£198M in order to get ten years off his sentence. For that, Iā€™d be tempted to do the bloody timeā€¦

I have occasionally seen artists respond to fans, which is nice, and once had someone ask me politely to take a piece of music of theirs down (because they were embarrassed by it, and wanted only their more polished revision to be on YT). so theyā€™re not always awful. But yes, you have a point, there.

1 Like

Honestly it depends on what youā€™re doing on YouTube. If youā€™re looking at a neat DIY video, or trying to learn from someoneā€™s guitar tutorial, then the comments are invaluable.

If youā€™re just consuming, then I guess the comment section is worthless, yes.

6 Likes

I really like having comments powered by Facebook. It guarantees that Iā€™ll never read or write any. Save me lots of time.

13 Likes

I would like someone else to add a second Like to this for me, one is not enough from me.

1 Like

From the YouTube FAQ page

Q: ā€œwhy the f$$k do i need a Google+ account to comment here?ā€

A: You sold the company to us. Itā€™s ours now. Pound sand.

5 Likes

I did it for myself, so I canā€™t help you out there, but you can have one.

1 Like

Kinda like Colonel Sanders after he sold Kentucky Fried Chicken, drunk and berserk at a franchise, they had to call the cops.

Theyā€™re watering down my gravy!

1 Like

Donā€™t forget Disney.

1 Like

I prefer the Herp Derpinator: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/herp-derp-for-youtube/ioomnmgjblnnolpdgdhebainmfbipjoh?hl=en-US

4 Likes

YouTube Options will let you choose exactly what you want to show and the size of the video, and disables autoplay and in-video ads. It also lets you download the video in a few formats if you use this link (you can also download it from the Chrome Store without the downloading option). Itā€™s all customizeable, so you can choose what you want to have. Itā€™s like Ad-Block for YouTube, in that when people tell you about annoying stuff like ads pasted over every section of the screen, you adopt this confused expression because youā€™d forgotten that it was an issue before.

2 Likes