After 8-year absence from YouTube, co-founder posts comment about comment policy

Fuck Google. This isn’t about making the comments better. This is about them trying to force everyone to live in the shitty ghosttown that is google+.

For months it’s been trying to make me join g+, and I kept saying no.

Ah, but who cares? The comments section is a wretched hive of scum, and villian, right? True, but they could have fixed that without g+. Now the trolls can post 65k of racist, misogynist rants, instead of the previous 140, or so.

Plus I had to sign up to g+ when I wanted to check on my account. Oh look all of my videos, profile pics, and channels have been deleted. How thoughtful of them.

Long story short, I don’t want to join another social networking site. I’m on facebook under sufferance, and I’m not interested in bleeding information so that Larry Page can buy another boat.

Fuck google+

16 Likes

YouTube center works in a similar way for Firefox.

Rule #2 on all websites: Don’t respond to the comments. Ever.

Maybe someone here will have an idea on a related topic: I’d like to delete my Facebook account. However, I’ve used it to post in a wide variety of forums across the web. I’d like to get a list of those places where I’ve used it. Possible? An added bonus would be to simply tell me if Fb was the only available authentication method there, or if I had other choices.

2 Likes

Things I’ve found useful/interesting - discussion on videos of obscure bands leading to new music discoveries, finding someone who’d worked on the set of a video I’d posted, people sharing tips for tough sections of video games…

Yes, they are the 1%. But sometimes (just sometimes), they are worth the rest of the rubbish.

And the Herp Derp plugin saved me from most of that, although it seems to have broken with the update…

3 Likes

And that version that allows downloads will stop working (on Windows) shortly.

So what happens when Google buys BoingBoing, then Disney buys Google?

1 Like

Use Firefox! :smile:

1 Like

More to push for the possibility / opportunity of anonymity I think. Some comments like political statements and critiques have real world, trying to avoid being beheaded or disappeared, anonymity applications.

1 Like

I still believe in anonymous commenting, and not just pseudonymous commenting. Even if you are fortunate to be someone or live somewhere that you don’t have to worry about institutional persecution for your beliefs, you still have to worry about offended friends, employers, and the occasional crazy person. That said, I am willing to believe that forcing people to use accounts they likely don’t want to tarnish casually (e.g., extensively built-up social networking handles) probably improves behavior and makes enforcement easier when it doesn’t.

In my case my ‘google’ name and my ‘facebook’ name are plausible variations of my real name, for what seemed like good reasons at a time. So, as a rule, I won’t comment on sites that require me to sign in with one of those accounts. I’m not too serious about it – I don’t actively hide my identity; that’s more work than I’m willing to do. I just try not to advertise it.

2 Likes

How would we read your insightful commentary otherwise? :stuck_out_tongue:

Cory moves into the Haunted Mansion.

2 Likes

Mister Doctorow will automatically ascend to the level of Imagineer, his braingasm will trigger a widespread power outage in the City Of London.

1 Like

I agree wholeheartedly. I don’t mind using my real name or variants as a handle in most forums because I consciously control what I say and discuss. In the big scheme of things though, the idea of pushing a social network with more real-world ties onto a group of people gives off the conscription-y vibes.

Outside of easy chair ideology and all that I’m bummed about the poor execution of the new comments, seems the same level of trolling and misery is still there but more disorganized, and all the people who create and contribute to YT are getting burned by the change-over.

1 Like

To paraphrase Rob Beschizza: it’s their website, tough titties!

2 Likes

Thats Cory.

No that’s number 4, number 2 is don’t double post a comment ever, number 3 is don’t just repeat someone else’s comment.

2 Likes

Rule #1 on all websites: Don’t read the comments. Ever.

1 Like

so much this

The Haunted Mansion stories get even more enthusiastic?

1 Like