After a manager at a Dollar General asked about the unionization of a nearby store, the company fired her

As a general rule you can get better bargains at Walmart if you know how to plan menus and cook. Most of their foods are WAY too high in sodium, and their personal care products are cheap only because the quantity if product in the package is way tiny. The cleaning products they sell appear to have been diluted down to almost homeopathic strength.

So bottom line–this is another system for ripping off the poor.

7 Likes

Dollar General is such an unsatisfying store to shop in. From junk food to junk everything, it’s amazing how these stores are so ubiquitous despite not really selling anything of quality or usefulness. It’s for this reason that it’s rarely on the radar for my routine shopping excursion.

2 Likes

Follow the links and ye shall find :slight_smile:

https://www.columbiamissourian.com/news/state_news/workers-at-auxvasse-dollar-general-vote-to-unionize/article_ca2cb5a8-dd2f-11e7-8326-b37e27e893c8.html

United Food and Commercial Workers Local 655.

2 Likes

Right wing politicians sure hate unions… well unless they are police unions - then they’re all for 'em.

2 Likes

This appears to be a retaliatory firing that would fall under a couple common law exceptions in most state’s “at-will” laws.

Quicky search brought this as the second hit:

3 Likes

By all accounts Henry Ford was an asshole, but he got one thing right: he thought the workers in his plants should be able to afford the products they were making.

But when translated to the Dollar Store, it seems a lot less noble…

10 Likes

OK, they claim 11,000 stores and 110,000 employees? Then they mention distribution centers etc. How few people work in any given store? My god they must be working 7 days a week.

I’ve never been in one, none near me, but this seems incredible.

In general I am no friend of modern unions but I fully support workers’ rights to organize and join one and companies that try to stop it other than by education and (preferably) by being such a good place to work unions are simply not needed are evil on the face of things.

Last “dollar” type store I shopped at carried odd stuff: Failed brands of products. Off-brand products from Mexico, candy from failed charity fund raisers and such. The staff seemed cheerful and friendly and did not have the hang dog look you expect from overworked underpaid folks. (But for all I know I am acting like the plantation owner who thinks the slaves are happy because he hears them singing every night.).

That’s a bit unfair.

They like the prison guards unions too.

4 Likes

Here’s a fun report, browsable by state, retailer, and toxic chemical, about how 81 percent of products in dollar stores are toxic.

1 Like

Pretty much why i avoid buying anything edible, or anything that will come into direct contact with food. The last time i bought something there was gift bags and wrapping paper, which was like… 3-4 years ago?

Glad to hear that there’s at least some shreds of decency in US employment law.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.