After elderly tenant was locked in his apartment by his landlord's stupid "smart lock," tenants win right to use actual keys to enter their homes

I refuse to have smart appliances in my home, especially physical security equipment. Card/fob access is OK for facility traffic control and multi-user access situations, especially when you may need to disable a specific credential or use time zones to keep vendors out except at specified times.
My mechanical Grade 1 deadbolt lock with fully mechanical high security cylinder can never crash due to database/software failure. It’s difficult to defeat mechanically or by brute force and meets fire code. My wife understands how to use it despite not having a clue how the innards work, and feels safe with it being the means of protecting herself and our home.

3 Likes

40nv

2 Likes

You’d think owners would understand it’s not in their interests to risk residents having to damage the property just to get in and out.

3 Likes

I recently read your story, Unauthorized Bread, and it’s really well done. I do think that making the primary character an immigrant rather dilutes the message; I know that several of my friends that might benefit from exposure to the story’s premise would not read past the first page because of that, and would miss the real message about abuses of IoT.

2 Likes

Wait, are you saying these friends hate immigrants so much that they won’t read a book with a character who’s an immigrant?

6 Likes

What is your name?
My name is Sir Lancelot of Camelot
What is your quest?
To seek the Holy Grail
What is your favorite color?
Blue
Right, off you go

5 Likes

Can’t you just go to a locksmith and have a duplicate phone made?

5 Likes

Just wait until the @melizmatic face appears in the red eye. Then you have an @LDoBe Door.

2 Likes

Not surprising.

I once had a roommate that was so homophobic that he refused to watch past the first few minutes of Trainspotting because it had a brief scene of two dudes kissing.

(ETA he would also refuse to watch certain movies or shows because “I can’t relate to the characters”. What a sad and sheltered existence.)

2 Likes

And really, the whole point of @doctorow choosing a refugee as the story’s protagonist is that it fits in with his concept about the adoption curve for oppressive technology (like these IoT locks)

which goes, “refugee, immigrant, prisoner, mental patient, children, welfare recipient, blue collar worker, white collar worker.”

Part of the point of the story is that the powers-that-be always start with marginalised groups before moving on to people like @jlturriff’s friends, and that the latter not being able to relate to the former is part of the bloody problem.

5 Likes

Sounds like a self-centered person. I hope they got more open minded, or you’re right about having a sad life.

Of course, some people have the privilege of being able to live that kind of life “successfully”, because the entire society is geared to cater to them. No less sad, of course.

3 Likes

“This is the Lockpicking Tenant Lawyer, and what I have for you today…”

4 Likes

Welcome, jlturriff.

The people are quite clever.
I am sure you will enjoy yourself.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.