After hurricane, reports of civil unrest on St. Martin, with "gangs overpowering military and local police"

Seeing as how it’s the French side of the island, perhaps it’s something like this?

“Reports of” is journo-speak for “I am unable to corroborate the story at the level of the two-source rule, but I am afraid of being scooped so I’ll tell you this rumor I just heard.”

Take “reports of” anything with a Trumply-'uge grain of salt.

GIven the jaundiced view of la Republique held by many black French Antilleans, I would not be surprised if many residents of St. Martin are in no mood to be bossed around by soldiers or gendarmes if the latter aren’t actually doing something useful, and are making their attitude clear. As someone who does not represent the French republic, I suspect if I were there I would have little reason to be afraid of those “gangs.” (Of Jose, however? I’d be wetting myself.)

8 Likes

“In the name of the revolution, give me your wallet”.

4 Likes

That happened to a friend of mine when he was in Nepal.

Politely, though.

3 Likes

There’s also the possibility that the lawless brigands can magically move about the island when other people can’t because the lawless brigands have greater control over the island at this point - and maybe uh, enjoy greater popular support than the lawful authorities. Although I guess I lean towards the Katrina-like situations make people worried those folks might be going full mad max uppity interpretation as well.

Perfect fermentation for lawless brigands.

Do you mean the “Blackwater type team…”

9 Likes

I remember reports of “roving bands of thugs” immediately after Katrina. The police had no choice but to shoot on sight. They were even looting… mostly potable water.

1 Like

I suppose it could be… Or maybe it’s a fevered imaginations of scared tourist… or maybe it’s something else.

None of it makes roads passable or dry, safe locations more accessible. If there is unrest, I’d guess it’s much more related to uneven distribution of the basic necessities of life. Who do you think has clean water, dry clothing and food? Poor, working class people, or tourists holed up in luxury hotels?

I suppose that’s entirely possible.

Honestly, this is all literally speculation at this point. It may be any number of things happening there, but we can’t know for sure.

2 Likes

Exactly.

What I was thinking was; if the local government has faded away, the local population might be organizing themselves into sometype of a new government.

1 Like

Saint Martin has got a high crime rate in normal circumstances, so it may be that things got out of hand for a while. But mostly it seems to be survival measures with probably a hint of panic.

Some French parliamentarians are already asking for an enquiry about how the situation was handled, particularly how the emergency aid was prepared. There seem to have been some lacks, but it may turn out that no one was at fault.

2 Likes

Quick update. My parents are fine. There are a bunch of downed trees near their house and there’s no power, but the seem to have cell phone reception sporadically. They were definitely lucky that the storm moved westward and missed hitting their area head on. The west coast, though, isn’t so lucky.

2 Likes

Possible alternative explanation: With >80% of the population supporting tourism (i.e., supporting the tourists, i.e., the ‘rich’, relative to the locals), the post hurricane disorder may be a sign of long-festering local disenfranchisement.

3 Likes

Demographically, a Police Force has 1 officer per 5,000 citizens. 1 million homeless from a storm equals 1,000 police … tough odds

Odds? Are the police there to rescue people, or to wage war on them?

Right, the homeless mass with be increasingly vexed and motivated to survive. At what point does being a police officer and enforcing land of law take a back seat and police are same as looter of instead of ‘enforcing land of law’.

Everyone becomes equal, police or not, YOU will take without paying. Even if you wanted to pay and regardless occupation.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.