After Istanbul voters rejected Turkish strongman Erdogan, he made them vote again -- and lost by the biggest landslide in 35 years

AKP smeared Imamoglu with a variety of ad-hominems: terrorist

ok…

coup-supporter,

fine…

fraud,

whatever…

Greek

Now, that’s way out of line!

6 Likes

In Turkey, sadly, it is about as insulting as can be.

Maybe it’s because they still haven’t got over Troy! :wink:

4 Likes

I think (maybe more like hope) that nowadays the loyalty of Turkey’s military is to the Turkish people rather than to Erdogan or whoever the strongman of the moment happens to be.

Here’s hoping!

4 Likes

Look up Cyprus some day.

Also: “Turkish” is never used in a positive connotation in Armenia.

3 Likes

Don’t forget about what the Kurds think of Turkey.

Syrians also don’t particularly like Turkey for what they did in Hatay, among other things.

6 Likes

Yeah. Turkey is not beloved by all it’s neighbours.

Basically, saying Imamoglu is Greek is the Turkish version of calling Obama Muslim.

11 Likes

The same applies in Greece going the other way. In fairness to the Greeks, they were colonized by the Ottomans for about 400 years or so. They carry the grudge. I wouldn’t dare call one of my Greek relatives a Turk, no matter how lighthearted a jest.

5 Likes

My understanding is sort of both (rural and urban), in the sense that Erdogan was able to get the vote of recently (at time) internal immigrants from rural areas to Istanbul.
I guess he was able to portrait himself towards the rural people as “one of us” that was successful in the big city, so losing Istanbul would tarnish his image all through the country, especially with the backslash of invalidating the elections to lose with even bigger margin

1 Like

In Greek/Armenian circles, mentioning that place often follows with ritual expectoration.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.