After random surveillance images started to show up on users' devices, Google blocked Xiaomi from running Assistant or Google Home

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/06/dont-put-cctvs-in-yr-home.html

1 Like

Big Brother is watching, and his siblings are too.

2 Likes

How long until everyone blocks everyone else from everything? Last summer something peculiar happened when I logged on the website for a credit card I recently opened. I had only put one large expense on it (signed up for the 0% promo period). But I noticed a number of other charges on it. One was for Taco John’s, and there aren’t any remotely near me. I was shocked, someone had gotten into my account!

Logged out. Logged in the next day, everything was fine. No trace of those charges. Everything was fine. I think what really happened was the website glitched me a glimpse into someone else’s account.

The Net is so delicate, everything is separated by tissue-thin membranes, everything is tied in knots. It can’t keep going in this direction and not break.

5 Likes

I know that is not
technically a haiku
but, man, it should be

11 Likes

“The 'Net is so frail
kept apart by mere tissue
yet tied up in knots”

7 Likes

Now I’m a lil worried about my Reason ONE Smart Alarm clock. It’s a Xiaomi-manufactured, Alexa-enabled product I’m only using because I wanted a living room clock that tells accurate time. I understand this post is about Google Home, but if they made similar mistakes with their Alexa integration…

There’s an XKCD for that. Just substitute Xiaomi-made [object] for “voting software.”

Actually, just include anything with (Smart) in front of it. SmartTVs, SmartDishwashers, SmartJuicers, etc.

3 Likes

One might question the validity of the first panel:

Perhaps the problem isn’t entirely with the engineers, but the people directing their work. (However, as a software developer, I will agree with the fourth panel)

1 Like

True enough. This is also true: when it does break (capital B), I’m pretty sure we’re gonna pretend nothing happened and put the pedal to the metal once more!

1 Like

Xiaomi has since issued a statement saying that they had “has always prioritized our users’ privacy and information security,” and that a Dec 26 update had caused the problem, but only for users with “poor network conditions” (the bug came from a cacheing system).

Ah yes, classical big tech speak. Let’s see, when I run this thru my trusty toddler speak decipher tool, comes out as “we didn’t do it! you did it!”

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.