After School Satan Club gets approval in Portland

Beyond all the other good points that others have made already, you’re ignoring the context of location. This is Portland. There are a lot of churches here, but there’s also an unspoken social taboo about being too outwardly religious or intolerant of other religions. There’s also a large population of nones who disagree with the institution of anything religious in the secular environment. This fits right in since it very specifically trolls the socio-religious imperialist tendencies of fundamentalist Christianity.

4 Likes

Genesis 3:4-5:

And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die: For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.

Emphasis added. It’s the “knowing good and evil” that makes them “as gods”. “Ye shall not surely die” is a (correct) contradiction of God’s statement “Ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die”, rather than a promise of immortality.

7 Likes

Satan and Associates is one of the top firms in the country. Sure, he lost a high-profile case to Daniel Webster, but that was technically binding arbitration, and the attorney’s fees drove the price of that guy’s soul down to where Satan could buy it right back again on the secondary market at a profit.

6 Likes

I always thought that it was funny (growing up in a Christian school) that Christianity is all about forgiveness but they’ve really got it in for the devil, just forgive the guy already.

The best line in this 3 minute clip is at 2:56.

RIP Mel Smith.

6 Likes

This is exactly the first thing I thought! 4 white kids with a token girl?

1 Like

The story I’ve heard is that God would definitely forgive Satan, were Satan to beg forgiveness. However, Satan is too prideful to ever ask forgiveness.

That said, I have read at least one story where this forgiveness actually happened.

3 Likes

Yeah but… Portland.

They’re all Satanists there anyway.

9 Likes

A.S.S. Club? Where else would the hardcore kids be?

5 Likes

But there already is a non-distracting thing that’s supposed to promote “science and rational thinking.” It’s called the school… Or, if you like the Before Satan Club School Club.

If your argument is that the very mention of Satan will make the fundies fundier, well, it might for a small group of them, but the same could be said of gay marriage, or anything else that offends the fundies.

1 Like

Depends on what school someone is going to. Seems that a good number of US schools are more interested in making sure kids are good at memorizing info so they can pass standardized tests.

Also, totally the point of it all. Challenge religion with it’s own flawed logic, if they’re going to try to get special treatment for their beliefs then so can “Satanists”.

2 Likes

[quote=“Nell_Anvoid, post:11, topic:86505”]Satan would make for an entertaining conflict…if this were a movie.[/quote]The thought occurs to me that if said “hard-assed fundies” wind up spending all their time trying to mash down the After School Satan Club, as opposed to rewriting the science curriculum and picketing the local women’s health clinics, then they may have served an entirely adequate purpose.

Then again, I suppose it’s possible that the Good News Club and its boosters, if not busy trying to pray for the sinners, might occupy themselves with useful and well-managed projects for the disadvantaged members of the community and okay I can’t even finish this sentence.

5 Likes

Say…That would make a great <a href=“https://bbs.boingboing.net/t/what-is-your-band-name-rapper-name-album-name/67032"target="_blank”>band name. :wink:

Welcome to BBS.

4 Likes

Better still if you tweak the S’s to look like 6’s.

1 Like

I thought that she only loved god?

1 Like

Or a 1980s John Hughes movie…

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.