Middle-school Satanists club can't be banned, rules judge

Originally published at: Middle-school Satanists club can't be banned, rules judge | Boing Boing

8 Likes

i would love to know if the threat originated from one of the peaceful christians who could never hurt a fly or antifa.

31 Likes

Rob Lowe Rams GIF by SoFi

11 Likes

Is the club really called “After School Satan Club”? If so, that only increases confusion, as the Satanic Temple has nothing to do with Satan.

5 Likes

I guess only if you’re not paying attention (which many right wing Christians are not)? They still use Satan as a metaphoric figure…

13 Likes

Let me rephrase: “If so, that only increases confusion and fear amongst the general public, with whom they are trying to share their message.”

3 Likes

More of this please! These kids, at least, are alright.

11 Likes

I assume that the threat maker is currently rotting in prison…right?

6 Likes

I think this is a case of “it doesn’t matter how they frame it” situation. Call it an atheists club, and they’ll say the same shit. They (meaning people who’d oppose any sort of afterschool club that caters to non-Christians) don’t have a mindset of logic and good faith… :woman_shrugging:

21 Likes

I think that is part of the goal. While the Satanic Temple may be morally upright, I don’t think that youth outreach is generally one of their core tenets.

I’ve understood the After School Satan Club as a win-win legal trolley; if X-tians challenge it, either it stays in place and there is more case law showing that atheism/satanism is ok and kids get a small dose of atheist propaganda to counteract the culture at large; OR if it gets removed, they have legal standing to get After School Christian groups kicked out of schools because the schools are showing preference for a different religion.

15 Likes

Or, in fact, any group that doesn’t align exactly with their particular flavour of Xtianity.
Add your likely Xtian hate group here:_____________________________________.

1 Like

… they very explicitly don’t care about anybody’s concern trolling about their methods

2 Likes

So the reasoning is that if someone commits a crime against you, then you provoked it by not being Christian?
And yet, certain judges would go right ahead and stand behind that logic.

2 Likes

Goth kids playing goth games. Move along…

On a side note, After School Satan Club would make an awesome name for a glitter goth band.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.