Satanic Temple rents space at Ohio public school for "After-School Satan Club," unsurprisingly angers some parents

Originally published at: Satanic Temple rents space at Ohio public school for "After-School Satan Club," unsurprisingly angers some parents | Boing Boing

23 Likes

My school wouldn’t even allow me to have a Fellowship of Agnostic Athletes to compete with the Fellowship of Christian Athletes.

38 Likes

Those parents can be as shocked and angry as they want. Unless thay’re willing to ban all clubs from the district’s schools, though, that’s all they’ll get.

The Satanic Temple continues to do God’s Baphomet’s work. Since they welcome atheists like myself, I’d consider joining if members get the benefit of officiating at weddings in the bargain. “By the power vested in me by the state and by the Satanic Temple I now pronounce you husband and wife”.

48 Likes

I wish these guys would open a bar, a Satan Dive Bar would work.

22 Likes

You need to contact the Satanic Temple. Situations like this are one of their main reasons for existing.

26 Likes

I’m opposed to this. Sure, they say they’re going to teach children about rationalism and the scientific method. But what if they start teaching kids traditional republican values like greed, adultery, lying, racism, xenophobia, and hypocrisy?

19 Likes

If I understand their position correctly, not only do they welcome atheists, they’re mostly atheists, and belief in Satan as an actual supernatural entity (rather than just as an archetype/symbol) would be contrary to their beliefs.

23 Likes

I would, but this was like 1985/6.

13 Likes

Any relation @pesco?

5 Likes

The “Christian” groups almost certainly already have that covered.

38 Likes

Different target, same strategy…

10 Likes

Except, you know, this satanic temple aren’t genocidal racists? :woman_shrugging:

19 Likes

It’s telling this was created in 1954. In the middle of McCarthyism, just as the civil rights and sexual revolution was about to hit. Under God would be added to the Pledge of Allegiance in 1954, too. In God We Trust would be declared the national motto in 1956 and standardized on US currency.

14 Likes

My kids’ schools each just started Good News Clubs (or just started advertising them, I have not heard of them before). One is almost directly across the street from a Baptist church that is sponsoring the club (we actually pass 9 different churches on the same road home from school, I have no idea why they’re all on the same road).

We do live in Georgia, however. Not sure if the Satanic Temple wants to bother with us, we might be a lost cause.

15 Likes

Well the devil DID go down to Georgia, I’m told.

34 Likes

I don’t know… I knew some Satanist and neo-pagans back when I lived in a more rural part of the state… And there are plenty of neo-pagans, etc in and around the metro. I see plenty of cars heading out east towards I-20 with various witchy type stickers on their car… Lots of Christian churches, of course, but no shortage of people of many other faiths.

So, no, I reject that GA is a lost cause, even out there in the more rural parts of our beautiful state. If we ACT like it’s a lost cause, then it will be, but I don’t believe that and I don’t think you do either.

That too!

28 Likes

I don’t know, the more I’ve read about Lucien Greaves/Douglas Mesner/Douglas Misicko the more uncomfortable I get with him. I’m not at the point where I’m willing to straight out say I think he’s an alt-right chud, but I’m also not going to say he isn’t an alt-right chud.

I do appreciate activism that TST does, but I’m starting to think that maybe they’re a bit more like the Lincoln Project.

6 Likes

I have not looked into their politics, but I do know that the church founded by Levy had some very problematic aspects (including a sense of superiority informed by racial politics and an embrace of thinkers like Ayn Rand). If you have any articles about The Satanic Temple along those lines, you should certainly link to them for the community here.

Still, I do appreciate their challenge to Christian supremacists.

13 Likes

21 Likes

They can get all that at home

1 Like