Ahmaud Arbery: 2 months ago, unarmed black man shot and killed by civilians for jogging. Video just came out

I’m not going to watch the video again, because it made me weep uncontrollably the first time, but I don’t know how that’s going to stand up in court. The video shows the criminals shooting at Arbery while still in the pickup truck murder mobile. It looked like he was already bleeding when he started struggling with Murderer #1.

Welcome to BoingBoing! Strong first post!

15 Likes

Thanks for posting that as infuriating as it is.

Basically the local police’s opinion is that the 2 men were legally “in hot pursuit” of a man they believed to have committed a crime. The pursued man then suddenly attacked one of the upstanding citizens causing his shotgun to discharge, for no reason other than because he is a crazy criminal.

In the officer’s words:
“Given the fact Arbery initiated the fight”
“while we know McMichael had his finger on the trigger, we do not know who caused the firings.”
“Arbery’s mental health records & prior convictions help explain his apparent aggressive nature and his possible thought pattern to attack an armed man.”

( for context, his prior convictions were for shoplifting and violating parole)

I can’t take this fucking shit anymore

11 Likes

Were they declared innocent by a court? You think they committed murder? Anybody think they committed murder? Then yes, they are up for murder. They might not have been charged, but that doesn’t mean it was never considered (even if in a token manner). Nor does it mean it can’t be reconsidered. Charged is just a stage. So far they’ve managed to avoid being charged by offering a defense.

FTFY

7 Likes

You’re even more correct than you may realize. I’ve been around ammosexual acquaintances, when they were reminiscing about the Code Duello, and how it would bring politesse and respect back to the social stage.

Yes, really. And I could maybe even grant them a potential argument, if “politesse and respect” wasn’t code for “tolerating any and all unacceptable behavior by gun-toting maniacs”. There’s also the nasty little fact that they don’t follow their own rules, of course; no, “Stand Your Ground” laws WERE NOT intended for this kind of use, no matter how you feel about them.

1 Like

No, I meant what I wrote. You’re not wrong. But if they hadn’t offered a defense, their buddies wouldn’t have been able to protect them. By offering a fig leaf of a defense, law enforcement can then go “sounds legit.”

1 Like

The video showed him avoiding the fight by going around the truck on the side opposite the armed asshole, who then ran to the side Arbery went to. That was initiating the fight.

With an unbiased investigation, this wouldn’t pass as a justified shooting even if these idiots were police officers actively responding to a call. The fact that one of them used to be law enforcement should mean a higher expectation of conduct and professionalism, not a lower one.

13 Likes

I don’t disagree with that, either, except that if someone without such contacts tried to offer that defense, I don’t think it would have been so easily accepted without investigation. And an objective investigation would probably led to the conclusion that Bubba A and Bubba B were out hunting for black men.

5 Likes

Obviously I agree with you, and hopefully the state prosecutor will as well.
This was the local Captain’s bullshit description of that:
“Ahmaud Arbery was running along the right side of the McMichael truck then abruptly turns 90 degrees to the left and attacks Travis McMichael who was standing at the front left corner of the truck”

4 Likes

Exactly. By giving a fig leaf defense to a sympathetic ear, that defense can be used by friendly investigators to explain their decision. Which works until someone with the ability to put them in jail calls bullshit.

Which is why it’s important to distinguish what they claim from actual justification. Both guilty and innocent are going to claim it. Why waste time being shocked a killer claims it? It’s like getting pissed the desert is dry. Save it for being outraged if someone in charge allows the claim to be confused for actual justification.

I’m arguing a very esoteric point. Comes from being attacked by someone years ago who thought being drunk was a legit defense.

4 Likes

Agree! I do think the stand your ground laws are exacerbating this threat to life and safety.

2 Likes

We’re also not the only state that has it, either. The lobbying group ALEC has been pretty good at getting them through GOP controlled legislatures after Florida passed theirs in 2005.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Legislative_Exchange_Council#‘Stand_Your_Ground’_laws

8 Likes

Yes. It is definitely a national problem. States in green have a stand your ground law:

only Vermont and Washington, D.C. have duty to retreat laws

8 Likes
13 Likes

Despite the ray of hope offered by the fact the murderers have been charged with murder, this is not the time to celebrate.

Until a conviction is obtained and the culprits are imprisoned, there is no justice for Ahmaud Arbery.

9 Likes

Last weekend I was walking in the neighborhood and saw some neighbors in their SUV pacing their (black) teenaged son as he ran his training intervals. At the time I thought the parents were supporting his athletic performance. Now …

8 Likes

14 Likes

While we’re on the topic of lynching:

8 Likes
10 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.