AI chatbots spawn shock meme cult, birth $258 million crypto empire

As long as you’re paying attention to the cutting edge, you’re making money. Whether that currency destabilizes, ehh we’ll see.

It gets harder to find that cutting edge the older you get

Edit: I want to state that I think this is trash and VCs should be regulated. But I made a grip of money on bitcoin once so who am I to really complain?

Christ, what an arsehole. :scream:

5 Likes

What?

2 Likes

well, it is our pal, ellsworth…
your guess is as good as mine.

11 Likes

Or if you’re in on the pyramid scheme in the early days. That’s what all cryptocurrencies ultimately are (ok, in some cases they’re reverse funnels of success).

3 Likes

Did someone say “Stupidest Timeline Coin?”
Because I think I heard someone say “Stupidest Timeline Coin”. It has a market cap in the millions, apparently, that have already doubled.

/reposting in 1 minute, 59 seconds…

4 Likes

Tubgirl?

4 Likes

Or perhaps Lemon Party. It has the midwestern appeal.

3 Likes

Here’s a guy that did just that.

3 Likes

"a study in memetic contagion and the tail risks of unsupervised infinite idea generation in the age of [large language models]

Memetic contagion…I suppose that’s a more modern way to describe the dopamine addicted rush that the internet fuels. But this is really no different than a hype man, a huckster, a charlatan / almost con artist. It’s the modern equivalent of the super charismatic sales man plying his trade selling you a miracle potion that cures whatever ills you.

The difference now is the charisma has been replaced by dopamine fuel tweets and cures with profit.

3 Likes

9 Likes

According to Cointelegraph , Andy Ayrey, the bot’s creator, clarified in an October 13 Twitter post that Truth Terminal was not directly responsible for launching the token but was involved in promoting it.

Say it with me:

C!
R!
Y!
P!
T!
O!
S!
C!
A!
M!

5 Likes

… he just commits one audacious and unbelievable prank after another

1 Like

2 Likes

O to be so rich, that i can just give 50k to an internet bot, to see what happens…

4 Likes

Anytime I hear about LLMs acting like this, I feel deeply that it’s all just an elaborate, human-guided, puppet show. LLMs are not general AI. They can’t be ‘traumatized’. Just someone creating their own ‘lore’ and not converting it into a money-making scheme once they saw it had an audience.

4 Likes

Is there any other evidence that any of this actually happened?

2 Likes

The bit that gets skiied right over is the degree to which this guy is likely goosing the outputs and the results to make it seem more significant and important than it really is.

Folks are buying into the meme, but it’s being used to gloss over the lack of there there.

We are pattern-matching monkeys who see Jesus in a piece of toast.

3 Likes

Actually, Idiots.

3 Likes

…and suddenly I’ve lost my appetite for donuts.

1 Like