AI chatbots spawn shock meme cult, birth $258 million crypto empire

Originally published at: AI meme cult sparks $258M cryptocurrency boom - Boing Boing

4 Likes

What the heck is going on with our concept of money now? Bloody insanity

25 Likes

That’s why all my money is tied up in Boba Fetts. I can at least look at them and play with them.

23 Likes

It’s not AI, it’s just concentrated Internet. I guess if it promoted RickRolls, it would be too obvious.

15 Likes

“Market cap” isn’t a meaningful measure unless there is a real market for the cryptocoin/stock/whatever.

If I mint 250 million micahcoins, transfer 249,999,999 of them to my own wallet, and then sell the last one to my wife for $1, micahcoin now has a market cap of $250 million.

19 Likes

Everyone directly involved in this story is really disappearing up their own arse.

28 Likes

Welp, the experiments with machine intelligence were interesting while they lasted but this seems like as good a time as any to get that Butlerian Jihad underway. I’ll go get my sledgehammer.

32 Likes

Think on how much energy and water this suckfest is consuming.

30 Likes

I don’t want to see what you did there.

17 Likes

I wonder if it would be possible to redirect their AI feedback loop away from Goatse to something else?

Zalgo: H̷̫̜̼̮̙͊͗e̴̬̠̫̭͊͗ ̶̯̯̻̱̞́̆͋͂͝c̷͇͇͉̳̙̒̏̆̉̚o̷̜̖̜͇͗ͅm̷̗̦͙̜̈́͂e̷̦̞̽̀s̴̗̯͔̽

6 Likes

… selling made up bullshit to himself, in order to sell it to us :roll_eyes:

14 Likes

Greatest Of All Tokens? Grossest Of All Tokens.

Well, go ahead, throw your money down a hole.

Errr. . . up a hole.

11 Likes

10 Likes

Came for this, was not disappointed.

7 Likes

Well, that’s my 2024 buzzword bingo card completed.

12 Likes

I was going to ask about redirecting the LLMs from goatse to a less noxious meme, like All Your Base Are Belong To Us. But then I checked and there’s already two All Your Base tokens, YOBASE and AYB.

God, this timeline is truly the stupidest one.

18 Likes

The world has gone full Poe’s law. I can’t tell if this is satire, an actual story about AI, or a fictional story written by AI.

21 Likes

[Marc Andreessen] transferred $50,000 in Bitcoin to the AI after it presented a business plan that included server upgrades and plans to launch a meme coin.

That sounds about as real as Musk’s bartenders.

Naturally he transferred bitcoin. He couldn’t transfer real money due to the minor problem that a chatbot can’t own anything.

It really chaps my ass when the press refers to VC assholes like Andreessen as “the tech industry”.

11 Likes

Techbros with their moving fast and breaking society things.

I don’t think the sci-fi authors prediction about dystopian future needed to wait until AI has access to nuclear weapons. Little did they expect that we would be done in by meme, sudoku money, and greedy techbros like to destroy people lifehood for fun and profit. These premises almost ignore the most reliable agents for these AI, people motivated by profit. This is just another wave of crypto scam with the help of AI to proliferate the bullshit at inhuman speed, DDoS society in reality.

11 Likes

I didn’t understand anything of that, but my reaction is

10 Likes