AI increases the resolution of emoji, turning them into horrifying creatures

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/29/ai-increases-the-resolution-of.html

7 Likes

These days, some AI’s biggest dangers come not from its omnipotent successes but from its clown-show failures

Let’s face it, if we’re going to assume that intelligence is at work here then “failures” like this indicate AI’s hatred for biological life forms. If that pizza emoji represented conservative ideology in some way, @beschizza himself would have created the same thing.

5 Likes

I have no idea what you mean.

3 Likes

It would be cool to play “telephone” with this trick. increase the res, then pixilate, then increase the res, then pixilate, etc.

See how long it takes each emoji to turn into a Gaussian blur.

1 Like

With eyes and nostrils.

4 Likes

This is the kind of stupid AI that I can really enjoy.

3 Likes

Humans are plenty capable of doing the same:

See also Detective Pikachu’s Mr Mime

4 Likes

I made something similar a while back, when favicons used to be 16×16px only and neural networks “didn’t exist”:
favbigs

3 Likes

These look like you used Lanczos interpolation algorithm to scale them.

2 Likes

At last, it will actually work when we say “Computer! Enhance!”

3 Likes

1 Like

I used (2013’s) SmillaEnlarger, which uses some fractal stuff to enlarge (author: “The used algorithm is an invention of my own”), which might default to Lanczos with certain parameters? But I think Lanczos would be cleaner.

EDIT: I couldn’t resist and redid them with Lanczos. I was right to never delete anything! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

If the computer program you wrote lies in court it’s not perjury, it’s a “glitch”.

1 Like

Hopefully this fresh atrocity will increase popular support for my Codepoint Crusade; and the purgation of Unicode from an infestation of the twee and unclean…

2 Likes

I like how one turned into Annoying Orange.

1 Like

IMG_0952_phixr%20(1)

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.