AIM to be taken out back and shot

Does this mean the trademark is now open for me to register my new project I like to call Advanced Idea Mechanics?

I have several aim/aol/netscape email addresses that I use Thunderbird with, and they all got the following message the same day as the AIM announcement:

AOL is committed to protecting the privacy and security of our customers. This
is why we’re writing to inform you that your current third party email
application is not using the latest, secure mail connection settings. In order
to continue sending and receiving AOL Mail via your application, you must
update your connection settings by November 7, 2017.

They gave a link to a page which gives no sign of what settings should change.

The timing makes me wonder if people at Verizon are looking at messaging and starting to make it more about what’s good for Verizon.

I can beat that; mine is three letters, no numbers!

I got it in the late 80s when I beta-tested “GeoWorks Ensemble,” a windows-like front end for DOS systems. The subscription was free . . . and they forgot to un-free it after the beta program was over. As I recall, AOL finally caught on when I was in grad school. I had a CMU address, but lots of friends and writing contacts still knew me by the AOL address.

I asked to go to a paid plan; there was a few minutes of panic when the CS associate told me that the three-=letter address was no longer valid. She asked a manager and I was allowed to keep it.

That was 20-plus years ago. The dial-up aspect proved useful when traveling in pre-WiFi America. In fact, 20 years ago last week, I was driving across the country to my new job, and I dialed in each evening to post about my progress.

In all this time, I never used AIM.

1 Like

1 Like

Is it funny that AOL is using Twitter to announce the death of AIM?

The children used AIM; I used ICQ. Ah, memories…

Helsinki.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=IhJQp-q1Y1s

2 Likes

rest in peace A/S/L?

I used “talk” and “wall”… the children used ntalk… :laughing:

(OK not really true, I wasn’t a *nix guy back then.)

1 Like

Free is for amateurs and hobbyists. True professional Corporations use proprietary, paid solutions so that executives over overwhelmed and undertrained IT staff can have an excuse for why things don’t work.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.