Air Canada kicks customers off plane and adds them to no-fly list for refusing to sit in vomit-soaked seats

Air Canada and their fleet of Vomit Comets.

3 Likes

OMG…like diarrhea, this shit just doesn’t stop, does it?

3 Likes

Re 1.

I personally find Air Canada is pretty variable by route and airport.

From YVR I have nothing but positive things to say about international Air Canada flights.

For domestic flights there are some absolutely miserable customer facing people at check in and on the planes. Some times it goes really smoothly, but when it doesn’t it can be a terrible experience. I suspect this relates to your point 2.

6 Likes

Threatening to put somebody on the No-Fly List when they haven’t done anything bad enough to warrant it sure sounds like a terrorist threat.

3 Likes

How heavy can it be? How much extra fuel need we burn each year to handle this (certainly horrible but) extremely rare situation?

3 Likes

You would think that contamination of a multi-user environment with faeces would be a potential biohazard, especially in these days of pandemics.

3 Likes

Given that this is apparently a problem at boarding (when the “maximise profit!” mantra means not enough time or money is allowed to clean and pay cleaners properly between flights) there is no extra fuel needed. Airlines just need to keep a handful of seat squabs at each airport.

Seeing as there are only so many types of plane (or seat) perhaps emergency supplies could be held centrally, even if they might not always be available in an airlines desired livery.

But that would be actually thinking about how to deliver a quality service, wouldn’t it? Something the airlines largely opted out of for cattle class a long time ago. Funny how it never happens in business or first class, eh?

5 Likes

IT IS.

But it’s obvious. Profit over protection at all costs. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

" Paint on a plane adds anywhere from 600 to 1,200 pounds (272 - 544 kg) to the aircraft’s weight. This extra weight increases the amount of fuel a plane burns, and can ultimately be equivalent to carrying as many as eight additional passengers."
https://simpleflying.com/why-most-aircraft-are-painted-white/#:~:text=Paint%20on%20a%20plane%20adds,the%20flights%20cheaper%20to%20operate.
The cushions float, so carrying 3 or 4 spares is almost negligible in comparison to the external beautification. Marketing trumps customer comfort!

2 Likes

Are you sure? It doesn’t cost extra money to change the air in the plane, they use bleed air from the engines to continuously pressurize the cabin. And the air is typically replaced 20-30 times an hour, how much more frequently was it done back when smoking was permitted?

1 Like

Let me find the article that addresses that…

“ John Gradek, who teaches aviation management at McGill University, says the aircraft never should have been dispatched, given the “biological hazard” on board.”

3 Likes

From the article:

“Blood, vomit and diarrhea may contain micro-organisms that can cause disease. These fluids, and the surfaces that come in contact with them, should always be considered as contaminated,” the [Public Health Agency of Canada] said in a statement.

That was absolutely a health hazard, and nobody should be expected to tolerate that for a whole flight.

The incident happened on a flight out of Las Vegas; I’d be amazed if there wasn’t a looong list of lawyers volunteering their services for the inevitable suit. The flyers deserve: a complete refund of their tickets for the flight, compensation for all expenses incurred because of the missed flight, free first class tickets to their intended destination, their names removed from the no-fly lists, a full and honest apology from the airline, and a healthy pain-and-suffering bonus on top of the rest. I’m sure a real lawyer could think of even more to ask for, but IMHO, that’s the minimum required to make this right.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.