Air-free non-pneumatic tires are coming to a bicycle near you

But, but, NY, NJ & CT are BLUE states! They don’t deserve anything in the new order. Trump’s NYC buildings aren’t for people who take commuter rail. In another forum just this week I saw someone once again posting the ridiculous false canard that rural Red states subsidize urban Blue ones, so you can’t give urban states the Red states money for transit, right?

2 Likes

You couldn’t possibly follow through on the already committed federal funds the government is legally obligated to provide. That’s just welfare by a different name. What do you want brown people to be able to maintain jobs?

1 Like

Probably just go back to chucking sticks in the spokes…

2 Likes

I’ll bet when they fail, they fail spectacularly.

4 Likes

I have some tyre liners made by Slime which are excellent (their puncture-fixing eponymous product is shit, however). It’s some weird, colloidal plastic that is bendy and soft, but stab it with something and it goes rock-hard. I’ve used the same ones for at least ten years and they’re fine. I once rode home on a tyre with a 1/2" gash in it and the tyre liner bulging through. I only noticed because I thought it was a bit of chewing gum stuck to my tyre and tried to prise it off with a stick. Hands-down the best tenner I have ever spent on cycling gear.

5 Likes

I also had Schwalb Marathon Plus tyres - and spent three years doing about 80 miles a week into central London on them. They were great. Every so often I’d go over each tyre picking out bits of broken glass with my penknife. Fantastic tyres, although a little heavy.

As for these airless tyres - I remember seeing something similar before - here’s a page covering similar designs going back fifty years:

https://gearpatrol.com/2012/05/24/design-spotlight-the-airless-tire/

I wonder how much these wheels weigh? They look quite heavy.

1 Like

That could be a great option for urban rental bicycle !

(note : those don’t use chain but shaft)

2 Likes

The amount of mud that would build-up in the “spokes” of those airless tires would be quite weighty.

3 Likes

Anyone know how I can reliably put my hands on 650’s?

Here is the late great Sheldon Brown’s take on this:

May his wheels spin true in the afterlife, forever full of air at the proper prescribed pressure.

I think he was being a little cranky about this. Yes, the old ones were Shite. That doesn’t mean someone COULDN’T come up with something worthwhile.

My questions for this: How much do they weigh compared to a comparable air tire? How much do they cost? How hard is it to replace the tread and what does THAT cost? How well do they corner?

I ride a tubeless 29er mountain bike, and tubeless solved most of the complaints I had about air tires. It’s not perfect, but it will prevent flats MOST of the time. It’s reasonably cheap to setup, and actually saves money over tubes while giving you a better cushion with more grip, which is important for MTB. I mean I had to buy a real compressor and some juice, or pay a store to do it. So they have to BEAT tubeless tires.

1 Like

Looks like some of the tires developed for the lunar rover:

https://blogs.nasa.gov/takingupspace/2010/06/30/post_1277907114680/

9 Likes

Yeah it doesn’t look fast. I also wonder about how much control you get over the direction your wheels point. Is a wheel like this more likely to slip into a tram track?

1 Like

True here too. Bicycle lanes in Melbourne are paved in broken glass.

1 Like

You need to get some RadiKS Mark II smart wheels.

6 Likes

YT approves this message.

Okay, call me a cynic, but I think I’ll wait and see if it hits the market before I make any comment. I remember too many of these that went absolutely nowhere to get too excited just yet. I remember the Michelin Tweel, which they swore exactly the same stuff about, and that it was going to be coming out next year, that the US army was already using it. I remember Terrainarmor, I remember the Big Tyre concepts from the company of the same name for mining equipment. In 1938, some dude invented a tyre with Hickory support struts, for god’s sake, and yet, despite a 79 year run-up, we still haven’t managed to make it practical for use, despite the occasional burst of publicity.

2 Likes

I know what you mean. Holding back farts is a ticket to bloating and worse!

Au ‘big fat hairy’ CONTRAIRE, mon ami!

Where I am in SoCal, potholes spring up like weeds between winter and spring. That’s what daily temperature swings of 40F to 80 F can do. And in the So Cal, high desert area (Palmdale, Boron, etc), winter temperature can go down to 10 F and sometimes even lower!

1 Like

Abd if it’s good enough for NASA, it’s good enough for my bike!

So, a good match for carbon then?

** ducks **

3 Likes