Air-free non-pneumatic tires are coming to a bicycle near you

Props for the Snow Crash reference; though your proposal raises the question of how long it will be(if it hasn’t already been) before a wheel design that depends on sensors and active tuning of wheel structure in real time becomes a thing.

There are some limited, manual, implementations that are surprisingly old(apparently the WWII DUKW had a TARDEC developed central tire inflation system); but that just extended to making it easy to quickly adjust pressure without getting out and futzing with pumps and pressure gauges; or to compensate for modest leaks; it wasn’t automated and was otherwise a fairly conventional pneumatic tire); but even the ‘coming sometime soon’/‘tech demo’ options don’t seem to include terrain mapping radar or the like.

1 Like

I think the flexing of the spokes + centrifugal force would prevent serious mud buildup, though. As it dries, it would just crack and fall off, wouldn’t it?

1 Like

I've seen a different sort of bike tire in China - there's a bit of an explosion of hire bikes going on in China, and if you have millions of bikes in the field the last thing you want to do is to have to deal with tens of thousands of daily flats

Have a look at the tire on the orange bike in the front in the photo below (or the light blue one about 8 bikes back) .... it's full of holes, the rest is solid. It's different from the designs above, I'm told it rides like a traditional tire

1 Like

Any idea what holds it on to the rim? Is it glued? I suppose another way would be for it to be elastic enough snap over the rim, which could be keyed like a belt drive to prevent slip.

great question, I’m afraid I don’t know - I’d imagine the whole wheel is manufactured as a one-time use thing

Like Michelin’s tweel from 2005 then…

Just thinking about those tire guys in India who throw tacks and nails in the roadway to gain business. What will they do now?

There must be something to disrecommend them, because I’ve never seen or heard of such tires in 20 years of cycling.

Maybe these will fix whatever’s wrong with those? Probably not, but it would be neat.

1 Like

Riding on solid rubber is only slightly less bumpy than riding on solid metal.

1 Like

I have literally shattered beer bottles under my wheels and rode away just fine. Heavy-duty mountain bike tubes are beastly.

(Of course, most people don’t ride mountain bikes on the street. Their loss, I say.)

2 Likes

My first bicycle (from Sears - we weren’t very well off) had solid rubber tires. I was actually pretty glad my friend’s dad backed over it with his car.

4 Likes

I commuted for ten years on a mountain bike. I appreciated the ability to ride over just about any surface but the nine speed chain drive never shifted reliably. Derailleur hangers failed every 5000km or so. Chains and clusters would last me a couple of thousand k. I broke a few chains taking off from red lights. I am on a hybrid with a belt drive and an 11 speed hub now. Its heaven.

1 Like

That must have been … exciting.

would not do rough terrain me thinks but I don’t know the dynamics

untreated tarmac can be a pain

Just thinking about those tire guys in India who throw tacks and nails in the roadway to gain business. What will they do now?

Read my lips: no new tacksies!

1 Like

I’ve tried these solid tyres before. http://www.tannus.com/

They’re heavy and have poor grip in the wet.

1 Like

You’d have to go with wire-mesh, then. That’s what NASA eventually put on the three LRVs that were used on the moon.
Come to think of it, when you look into the properties of Lunar Regolith, driving over roads paved with broken glass doesn’t sound that bad anymore.
But what I really want to know is: what will those air-free non-pneumatic tires do to my lawn when those damn kids ride over it?

2 Likes

Depends on how fast the actuators are. Legs are better than wheels on rough terrain and a smart wheel combines the two.

1 Like

it’s wonder they don’t have them lighted-up but I bet they are slippery when wet