Why plane tires don't explode on landing

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/05/why-plane-tires-dont-explode.html

6 Likes

Thanks for including a written summary of some of the facts in the video. I’m not always where I can stream a video so even a bit of descriptive text is a nice thing to have.

18 Likes

Also, jet tires are inflated twice as much as truck tires and six times as much as car tires to give them extra strength.

What does “inflated twice as much” mean? Double the pressure? Double the volume?

2 Likes

My understanding as to why only nitrogen is used in aircraft tires is that in case of fire the tires cannot contribute any oxygen. Never pay extra for nitrgen fills in your automobile tires.

5 Likes

I’ve wondered if they could spin up the tires to landing speed before touchdown, if it would reduce wear/chance of blowout. Of course, that would be another system to maintain and monitor.

5 Likes

Race cars use nitrogen to inflate tires (where allowed) yet they can still puncture. Just thought I’d throw that useless fact out there. You can to if you are willing to pay for it and think it’s worthwhile.

Nitrogen won’t catch fire when the tire gets hot, won’t contribute to an existing fire, and won’t oxidize the rubber inside the tire. If anybody thought that, in addition to those benefits, it also made the tire puncture- or leak-proof, well…

4 Likes

Yeah, I’m calling BS on nitrogen reacting less to temperature and pressure changes compared to air. Air is 80% nitrogen after all. Tank nitrogen probably has less humidity than air, which might make a difference, but it will still be small. I’m betting it’s to avoid oxidation.

6 Likes

Why are airplanes so much more active and stronger than bicycles?

Because bicycles are two tired :slight_smile:

17 Likes

Let me introduce you to my pal ammonia (NH3) and his buddy nitrous oxide (NO) and friends.

There are deviations from the ideal gas law but pretty much PV = nRT.

8 Likes

Dinitrogen (N2) requests you stop being disingenuous.

3 Likes

This article also uses the “6x” comparison but makes it clear that it’s referring to pressure - around 200psi in the case of airliners, apparently.

I’m curious whether they use inner tubes (as trucks and most road bicycles do, since tubeless systems can fail pretty catastrophically at pressures above 100psi).

2 Likes

All this time I was sure it was the Tire Fairies, guess I was wong.

5 Likes

Ye, I was thinking that. When get our tires done a Costco they use Nitrogen (and put those stupid green caps on!), and they say it’s cos it’s less prone to leakage with temp/pressure die smaller molecule size (basically). That’s not same as 'affecting characteristics.

air, with oxygen in it, reacts to temperature and pressure changes by oxidizing things

Adds weight, as well.

3 Likes

Begging a man-splaining addendum, there’s also a complex anti-skid system controlling the free rotation of the wheels that also monitors the temperature and applied-pressure of the physical plates within the braking system.

Anti-skid (a.k.a. anti-lock braking) systems are yet another example of technological innovation being “spun-out” Space/Aerospace research which is in-turn shared with product manufacturers serving the general public and commercial customers. In this case, the costs of innovating, testing, proving and standarding a highly reliable, life-saving technology were borne primarily within military and aerospace R&D channels. As with GPS, most drivers or - as in the case of commercial air travel - mass transit passengers could not imagine traveling any distance - be it to the store or across the globe - with these life-saving ABS technologies in place.

3 Likes

I’m tired right now.

11 Likes

Roger That!

5 Likes

Um, yes? Which is why they, as I said, use nitrogen instead of air? Are you agreeing with me?