Airbnb is canceling all DC area bookings during inauguration week

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/13/airbnb-is-canceling-all-dc-area-bookings-during-inauguration-week.html

2 Likes

But the F1Rst AmEndmENt!!!

2 Likes

Also HotelTonight.

5 Likes

Rideshare companies would probably be well advised to consider restricting service to the D.C. area on the 20th too.

18 Likes

Boy I’d hate to be someone that needed to justify legitimate business in DC during that period; they may as well just close businesses on the 20th, like we do in Savannah downtown during the St. Patty’s Day parade.

8 Likes

The gov is:

Most businesses that I am aware of in the DC area are closing their doors for the day or days. Literally.

7 Likes

If you had told me in [select year] that Joe fucking Biden’s inauguration would be the most contentious in a century, I would have eaten my shoe. I guess this could really be called an anti-inauguration of Trump though, which would have made more sense to $selected_year me.

17 Likes

Is the Hotel Harrington also going to close for the inauguration like it did on January 4th, 5th, and 6th (so the Proud Boys couldn’t congregate there)?

2 Likes

That has to suck for someone with a legit reason for being there during the week…but with the plague I assume there are at least a whole lot fewer reasons to be traveling (like in a normal year I might be visiting friends and family in the area, but like most of 2020 I’m actively attempting to not leave my house and for sure not attempting to be in a whole other state).

2 Likes

“turns out our insurance doesn’t cover the FBI/National Guard breaking down the door”

9 Likes

Yeah, a lot of “legitimate” reasons for being there aren’t legitimate right now…

3 Likes

Even the legitimately legitimate reasons aren’t legitimate, if you ask me.

I know changing our plans is “how the terrorists win,” but COVID-19 made anything remotely like a traditional Inauguration celebration pretty pointless. Now there’s this shit, too? Fuck it. Cancel everything.

Donate the inaugural fundraising money to COVID relief charities, do the swearing-in on TV, and move on. By 12:15 Biden can be at his desk with a pen, a stack of executive orders, and a tube of Ben-Gay for writer’s cramp. The only person who’s ever really thought the inauguration matters was Trump, and look where that got him.

11 Likes

I hate to sound so defiant. But is there some way that people who support the, I don’t know how else to put it, Status Quo, can go down to DC and form a huge wall of people surrounding the mall to keep these insurrectionists out of the inauguration? I don’t live that far way and I’m happy to be part of a human wall to block these f%cking idiots from disrupting the swearing in. Note: I am not an Antifa (but yes i am against fascists). No violence, just physical hindrance.

If only the federal, state, and local governments had a large supply of professionally trained, well-equipped personnel who they could deploy in the event of circumstances such as this, so people like you could stay home and out of harm’s way.

7 Likes

So Airbnb, that has profited off the business model of turning rent-able homes into short term accommodation (marginalizing those that can’t afford to own a home) is now pretending to be a good corporate citizen… Or just covering it’s ‘disruptive’ business ass!

The DC mayor and others asked them to.

2 Likes

I didn’t know that. Thanks

2 Likes

All mayhem and deaths will be blamed on Biden. They’re already setting up the ones they killed and got killed last week as their own martyrs.

1 Like

@Akimbo_NOT

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.