Airbus is making bunk beds in jet cargo holds

I want this to be less luxurious, I would pick a more cramped but lying alignment any day over airline seats. Especially on long hauls.

I think India Railway’s AC2 Berths would be a good model

5 Likes

You couldn’t be in a windowless and emergency exit-less hold for takeoff and landing, so this would have to be like the old lounges - you’d go mid-flight to your bed, then head back upstairs for landing. The L-1011 had downstairs lounges. Then how is this any different from a full lie-flat seat? I suppose they would be able to charge more for it on routes where the hold isn’t usually full of cargo.

1 Like

Well demonstrated in the DC-10 cargo door blowouts in Michigan and France. The sudden pressure differential between the hold and the cabin collapsed the floor, disabling flight controls which ran through the floor.

1 Like

Good. More space for me then!

If the cargo cubbies can be curtained-off, that would provide an environment better suited for the Mile High Club.

4 Likes

Transcontinental bedbugs!

1 Like

As the other poster said, yes it is pressurized. Reading aviation forums on this issue it seems that doubling the number of passengers, doubles the demand for luggage in the hold, and eats into the amount of freight you can carry, because its mass is limited. The outcome of this is that there is empty space in the hold which aircraft manufacturers are looking to re-purpose.

There already are bunk beds in the hold, for the crew. This is an extension of the same idea.

4 Likes

nice. Looks like it will accommodate one snorer.

2 Likes

That’s ok - I want to use it for lying down, not standing up.

2 Likes

certainly the arrangement with the offset aisle and bunks mounted transversely on one side and along the axis on the other side does remind one of Indian railways. I wonder how much extra they’ll charge to get this as well as your regular seat.

Especially since these only make sense for LONG flights. The weight of the extra fuel is cargo that can’t be carried.

1 Like

Rumored to have other uses as well.

Last time I took a long flight, I asked a flight attendant what was behind a door in the back of the plane - turns out the crew rest area on a 777 is above the cabin.

1 Like

The density isn’t a problem, but the whole open-plan dorm aspect of it is. (for me)

Last month i had a holiday up to Scotland on the Caledonian sleeper train. It’s cabins are tiny! (this airline example being relatively spacious) But i would not have been happy at all to share with strangers as in this setup.

1 Like

Beds on a Plane.
Film at 11.

2 Likes

Sweet dreams Mr. Dallas…

5 Likes

Yes. If not, the lube you packed would wind up all over the inside of your checked bag. :wink:

2 Likes

I was hoping this was about bespoke cargo pods for transport of the wealthy.

Like train cars

the inflight snack is you

2 Likes

That’s why I always take my Emotional Support Spiders with me.

1 Like

Navies have been sleeping people in close space for centuries.

I bet a hammock is more comfy anyway.

1 Like