Airbus is making bunk beds in jet cargo holds

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/04/12/airbus-is-making-bunk-beds-in.html

6 Likes

If it allows me some personal space where I don’t have to sit beside crying kids or folks that smell funny, I’m all for it.

4 Likes

This would be a boon to those susceptible to problems problems like DVT. North America to Australia in an ordinary airliner is out of the question for those people.

3 Likes

I love the idea, but for some reason the photo puts a sort of flying “The Shining” hotel in my mind. . .

6 Likes

Way less tacky decor, but I agree ‘the vibe’ is the same.

3 Likes

I love the idea, although the density in that photo suggests that this won’t be an option for mere mortals.

9 Likes

A plain old shelf with books on it?!?!?!?! Don’t be walking by when the flight hits some turbulence!

1 Like

I just can’t sleep sitting up, no matter what I try. Any flight longer than 6 hours feels like total hell for me. I would definitely pay a premium for a bunkbed.

Not that we’ll see that in the U.S., where airline competition has been swirling the monopoly drain steadily for decades. I’d expect to see semi-standing coach seats long before I saw reasonably priced beds on a plane.

3 Likes

Are the beds more comfortable than Airbus seats? At this point I make sure I fly on airlines that use Boeing planes because I find the Airbus seats completely uncomfortable because they have the opposite of lumbar support.

1 Like

I’ll bet these look much less luxurious when there are people in them…more lie a barracks or a youth hostel than the super luxurious accommodations that you’d expect at that price point.

I got more of a cryosleep pod feel from it.

10 Likes

Is the hold pressurized?

3 Likes

Yes, all holds on passenger planes are pressurized - the floor would not be able to support the pressure differential. It’s usually quite a bit colder in the hold than the passenger cabin (but substantially warmer than outside).

Lufthansa has used this approach for crew rest ares on A340s for some time - it’s a pod that loads into the hold space in the same way as luggage pods.

5 Likes

Will they be renting them on AirbusBNB?

9 Likes

Hopefully, the bedding will be changed out between each use… that way people don’t climb into each others’ stink.

GUBDEB! GUBDEB!

10 Likes

That’s a lot more cramped than you would think. The height of the A330 cargo hold is 171cm or 5 foot 7 inches. Lots of people, maybe most, can’t stand upright in the holds.

1 Like

“Mr. Rhod, you are going to have to assume your individual position.”

1 Like

I actually read it as AirBnB at first and wondered why they were putting things into planes.

1 Like

Yeah, then there’s that legitimate concern.

4 Likes