New double-decker airplane seats let you eat farts for free

Originally published at: New double-decker airplane seats let you eat farts for free | Boing Boing

8 Likes

“Chaise Longue (sic) Airplane Seat”

Why sic? That is how you spell chaise longue

30 Likes

Yeah, but they’re not exactly chaises longues, are they?

15 Likes

Excuse me?

1 Like

I battled my phone for a solid minute just to be sure that someone here has pointed that out.

10 Likes

So the bottom rows get extra leg space and headroom and the upper rows get… fucked over, I guess?

EDIT: Oh, the video makes it clear. They get to “feel like they’re in an SUV”. :roll_eyes:

7 Likes

So somebody is getting the free Gallagher show/Gwar concert experience whenever a flight with that seating serves curry?

10 Likes

I’d rather sit on a lounge than a “longue”.

But neither of these seat designs is built to get out to pee, so clearly they need to just incorporate a toilet seat so you can eat farts AND everything else.

And they’ve handily eliminated yet another place to put your bag (overhead) and lose it (underneath).

10 Likes

The choice is:

• Legroom but huffing fart gas, or
  • Above the fart clouds but no leg room.

Thanks, I’ll walk.

7 Likes

It’s clear that this “Crystal Cabin Award” is mainly about finding out what privations passengers will accept in the airlines’ quest to pack more of them into planes like sardines. Every time on of these “innovations” by an obviously misanthropic engineer is given PR the flying public reacts with appropriate horror.

Also, for this particular one, I assume one of the value propositions was “screw disabled people”.

20 Likes

Listen, if you’re on an airplane you’re already eating farts no matter what the seat looks like.

14 Likes

Looks great as long as you don’t like bending you knees for extended periods of time. :money_mouth_face:

3 Likes

Afaik In the event of a crash the top row of seats move together and the bottom row moves into the base of the top row. (Unless the entire top row “floats”)

3 Likes

Airlines aren’t doing this to price gouge. Airlines are doing this because passengers insist on buying the cheapest possible seats, regardless of service or environmental impact.

And so the race to the bottom. Because if any airline starts offering this and lowers their prices, the competition loses. As do passengers. But it’s cheaper.

4 Likes

Airlines consider ideas like this because they want to have it both ways: attract as many customers as possible into any given aircraft with low prices and then cut costs and increase the bottom line by reducing quality of service to whatever degree they can get away with.

And that airline will be Ryanair.

11 Likes

Sweet summer child. If you make a way of providing more legroom by stacking chairs, they will shrink your new legroom and fit in more chairs.

8 Likes

I prefer real double and triple decker jets.

4 Likes

That was my first thought: if this plane crashes, we’ll have one of these:

2 Likes

Are still planning on going to saddle seats?

https://www.fastcompany.com/3033195/is-this-tiny-bike-seat-the-future-of-air-travel

7 Likes

Old Hype: Free Legumes

New Hype: More LeGrooms

13 Likes