New double-decker airplane seats let you eat farts for free

This is why I won’t fly ever again. I was in a tiny seat near the tail of the plane I was on (no idea what model, maybe a 737?). Anyways, the damn thing was just horrible and not just because I’m fat, but rather because I’m 6’4". Like I had NO ROOM to sit. I’m glad the flight as just two hours because it was horrible. Never again, I don’t care. It sucked.

11 Likes

“Human-Centipede Airways”

They only have to feed those in first class…

8 Likes

We’ll get there eventually

4 Likes

You’re not thinking like a brilliant young design engineer. Catheters! Now there’s innovation.

8 Likes

No leg room accomplishes the same result.

3 Likes

Airlines do not accommodate diversity in stature. You MUST FIT in the “revenue optimised” seating configuration and you must not complain.

4 Likes

I don’t think this is a serious proposal. It seems more like something that came out of a hackathon, or a brainstorming session to spur creativity.

4 Likes

Everything old is new again.

6 Likes

Often hair-brained schemes like this are floated to see what the the industry and passengers think of it.

At the end of the day, there are few ways left to maximise fares.

The end of this entire business model is to drug everyone, put them into bulk storage, stack them like a wood-pile, and wake ‘em upon arrival.

You baggage will travel in more comfort. Actually, it already does.

Disclosure: I’m a consultant in the avsec industry. It’s a shit-show.

12 Likes

I sincerely regret making this joke.

1 Like

There will be exactly one song available via the in-flight entertainment system.

8 Likes

To be be perfectly pragmatic, this won’t happen because the limit on passenger capacity of airplanes is not seat density, it’s turnover time at the gate. The largest component of this is passenger loading, which takes basically the entire time currently allotted before the next flight has to leave. Miss this, and the error cascades all the way through the day. There is very little margin for error here.

The only thing that made the A380 work was two-story jetways so that double the passengers could be shifted in the same amount of time. Since airports have not been keen to implement that, the A380 is struggling after the initial hype it got. Airports don’t want to build the infrastructure, and even though the plane can be loaded from one jetway via the internal stairs, it can’t be done so fast enough, thus airlines stopped buying those planes.

14 Likes

So they want to double the weight load of a passenger plane and make the already difficult task of evacuation impossible.

Grumpy Cat No GIF by Internet Cat Video Festival

4 Likes

Yet the quickest and most efficient way to board a plane is from back to front. But that cuts into the upcharging privileges of business & first class.

3 Likes

I know this is overthinking, but it’s fascinating how really messed up, absurd and cruel concepts like this attempt to normalize it by presenting a model who is looking at the camera and simply smiling. There should be an AI that turns those smiles upside down. Or at best, provides a neutral expression.

2 Likes

The fear of being immortalised as a grinning fool when future generations look at the image or video would be deterrent enough in a healthier society.

4 Likes

Yep. They have maximized profit within the time loading window they have.

3 Likes

This would actually make me consider using flying as a mode of transport again.

5 Likes

Chaise Longue is the Britishism, right?

1 Like

Where are the overhead luggage bins in this proposal? There isn’t that much room over your heads in a typical airliner with the current seating.

I have a suspicion this designer is one of those people who fill places like Yanko Design and don’t let simple things like physics, safe or ergonomics get in the way of a suitably swoopy Instagrammable design.

4 Likes