New double-decker airplane seats let you eat farts for free

I think you meant, “screw disabled people even harder than we already are”.
(how many stories have we seen in the past couple years of wheelchair users getting their equipment damaged/destroyed and the airline’s only response is “whoopsie- you can buy a new one, right?”)

5 Likes

It’s the word in every language that uses the French term. Including all varieties of English. That there’s an erroneous American English spelling in addition to that doesn’t change that fact.

7 Likes

Canadians spell it “lounge” as well. There is a lot more variety in English dialects in the world than you seem to be suggesting.

3 Likes

My point is that that’s a variant spelling. “Longue” is correct in Canadian and American English as well.

1 Like

I’m Canadian and have never seen it spelled “longue”

2 Likes

Unfortunately the Canadian Oxford Dictionary is not online or possibly behind a paywall but I would bet good money that chaise longue is the/a correct spelling.

5 Likes

The TSA likely would like this too. As long as a passenger doesn’t have a bomb, if they’re sedated through the whole flight it doesn’t really matter what else they’re carrying: a knife, a gun, cigarettes, a bottle of strong alcohol, etc. They’re not going to be awake to use it.

Plus if you’re unconscious through the whole flight, a crying baby wouldn’t really matter.

/s

3 Likes

Double-decker trains are standard in Sydney (or at least they were ~20 years ago, on lines serving the western suburbs).

But those, IIRC, had two actual floors, rather than just seats stacked on top of each other.

3 Likes

Coming soon, capsule hotel / airplane hybrids…

1 Like

Now that I wouldn’t mind for a transatlantic flight

4 Likes

7 Likes

Maybe? But so? This is a weird hill you’re dying on, though I appreciate the passion for language. :smile: :canada::heart::uk:

3 Likes

New double-decker airplane seats let you eat farts for free

Unless the airfare is somehow reduced to 0, we’re paying to eat those farts, same as today.

2 Likes

Yeah, when I woke up today I also didn’t know that today would be the day I’d die on a hill of misunderstood French.

8 Likes

That’s an advantage of apron positions. Directly at the gate everyone must squeeze through one jetway to enter the aircraft from the front, but (at least here in FRA) on an apron position they put stairs at the front and back of the aircraft and you get to board from both ends. The only disadvantages are the bus ride to the aircraft and the fact that the concept of “low row number = front, high row number = back” seems to be lost on people and they end up using the wrong stairs.

4 Likes

The nice side effect of this concept – as far as the airline is concerned – is that it eliminates carry-on baggage. Passengers will be afforded the privilege of bringing one tiny handbag for free, and everything else will need to be checked in at extortionate rates.

I’ve always wanted to feel ‘entombed’ rather than merely ‘cramped’ by my airplane seating; haven’t we all?

Just looking at that has me hoping that any plane so equipped will at least also provide in-flight clonazepam for when the claustrophobia exceeds the specs of in-flight microdrinks.

2 Likes

And all inflight meals will consist of a muffin. If you want it buttered you’ll need to pay extra so someone can be assigned.

3 Likes

So the question I thought of which is sadly relevant in today’s society was, would it make it harder to duct tape those unruly, entitled passengers to their seats before they have the opportunity to cause more damage? :stuck_out_tongue: And I imagine a cramped configuration like that presented would only lead to an increase in that sort of behavior.

1 Like