New double-decker airplane seats let you eat farts for free

Props to you for trying to educate everyone here.

3 Likes

Agree.

This would be limited to maybe 3 or 4 rows (a “sub-economy” class?), but not a whole plane.

In order for a plane to be certified for commercial passenger use, they need to pass a real-world evacuation test. A full plane of the “flying public” (can’t be a bunch of 80 lbs. gymnasts) need to go from seated to outside the plane within 90 seconds (How Aircraft Are Tested For Evacuations).

Seems unlikely that an airline would bother with the maintenance staff training, spare parts, etc., to make a handful of very low revenue seats viable.

3 Likes

Steerage Class.

5 Likes

I’ve been an Aircraft Rescue Firefighter for 12 years and I can tell you, this is a damned nightmare. No way in hell would I get on an aircraft set up this way. Holy crap.

13 Likes

Is it just me, or was there something wrong with that Youtube? The script was read by a robot and it’s all b-roll stock footage. I think the script might have been AI-written, too. I didn’t even see photos of the stacked design in the video. Very weird.

2 Likes

Nope, not just you.

I wouldn’t call it “click bait,” but I would call it… uh… Yeah, I got nothin’.

New double-decker airplane seats let you eat farts for free

They’re free for now. The airlines have a way of charging you for this stuff eventually.

3 Likes

It’s a question we all ask ourselves from time to time.

3 Likes

People jam-packed into airplanes. Soon, even cordwood stacking configuration. But don’t worry: With more advanced VR tech, who’d even need to leave the house. /s

2 Likes

Rooms, baby!

3 Likes

Still are, as far as I can tell (I’m from Melbourne and haven’t been to Sydney for probably 20 years).

And @Doctor_Faustus I salute you. See lounge when it should be longue a lot here and it does my pedantic little head in.

4 Likes

I’m 5’4" and don’t have any legroom in airline seats! The damned things are sized for 10 year olds.

5 Likes

Oh, not yet! You could load the passengers into their seats while they’re still in the terminal, then load the whole passenger-carousel into the side of the plane as they do with those big luggage boxes. Just get everyone strapped in with shoulder harnesses, amusement park style.

Plane comes in, unload the previous passenger deck, crane in the new passenger deck, and away you go!

5 Likes

(avgeekery follows)

Southwest used to do this with jetbridges – at least for deplaning – at AUS. One of the jetbridges was suspended over the wing to the aft door. (When I went thru there a couple of weeks ago, I didn’t notice whether they were still doing this or not.)

We had a World Book encyclopedia in which the “Airport” article had the still-new Kansas City Int’l. as an example of a modern airport. The illustrations showed the aircraft parked alongside each gate, rather than pointed nose-in, allowing one jetbridge to telescope to the forward door and another jetbridge to telescope aft. (The aircraft in the illustrations were Caravelles so it was already a bit dated when I first read it in 1980.) I’ve only been thru MCI once, and didn’t notice them doing it this way when I was there. (EDIT: World Book also showed an inter-city train and an intra-airport peoplemover, and I’m pretty sure MCI never had either.)

It used to be routine (maybe still is, somewhere) at larger airports, for larger aircraft (e.g. 747s, DC-10s), to put one jetbridge at the forward door for loading 1st class, and a second one at the 2nd door (still fore of the wing) for the rest of us rabble – I know that at DFW, this evolved into just parking two smaller airliners (e.g. MD80s) at both jetbridges, and re-labeling the single gate number as “A” and “B”. But I think maybe it’s still common to use a middle door instead of the 1st door for a widebody.

American had one of their gates set up at LAX (and, if I recall, at JFK) so that the 747 had one jetbridge on a port door, and one on starboard – but I don’t remember whether they actually used this configuration.

We’ll use Voya-Code!

(I had to go look that up; I read it while Carter was still president)

2 Likes

Will there also be optional ankle restraints? :thinking: Asking for a friend seeking a remedy for nasty passengers who remove their shoes and shove their smelly feet into the gaps around the seats in front of them. :face_exhaling:

1 Like

Dallas- Fort Worth and Orlando. Been on them both. Orlando’s seems a lot newer, but we used to go to DFW specifically to ride around to the various terminals and empty the left-behind change in the pay phones, c. 1980 (then go to the arcade). Also to visit the dinosaur in the Braniff terminal. (Fuck, I’m old.)

3 Likes

I think that may have been moved to the Texas State Museum at UT-Austin but I’m not sure… I only saw it at DFW once, like in 1983.

There was also a Calder-like mobile (I’m thinking it was an actual Calder) at DFW, in what’s now Terminal A or C. I’m told it was at Love Field before that. The mobile was in American’s terminal, but Calder had painted (or, supervised the painting of) an airplane for Braniff (back in the Love Field days? Or maybe for the Bicentennial. EDIT: More at this article). I’ve never been able to find anything regarding whatever happened to that mobile. (EDIT: I did find a brief reference to it here)

Which reminds me, Disney built the peoplemover for IAH (but I never rode it there).

2 Likes

When I saw the email preview for this reply, I thought it was going to a very different place.

2 Likes

It really takes “overhead luggage compartment” to the next level.

1 Like

In Cory’s novel Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom there’s a scene where the protagonist accumulates so much whuffie (reputation economy credits) that he can fly on an airplane with the luxury of being conscious rather than put in suspended animation and stacked like cordwood. The airline industry’s commitment to making that latter part a reality is sadly unsurprising.

5 Likes