Airplane Mode is a game that's going places

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/28/airplane-mode-is-a-game-that.html

3 Likes

Does it include the risk of a United flight attendant dragging you off the plane?

9 Likes

How about the kid behind you kicking the seat?

The large lady beside you who takes up both arm rests and smells like she showers in perfume?

Lets not forget the anti-masker 2 rows up who starts a fistfight with fellow passengers.

Crying babies.

The reclining seat that suddenly comes back and spills the OJ on your seat tray.

The odor of colon death when someone comes out of the washroom.

I don’t miss the flying, I do miss where that can take me though.

9 Likes

All I could think was “Why aren’t the other passengers wearing masks?”

2 Likes

VR & Multipllayer please. Yes, of course, y’all will be sandwiched together on an otherwise empty plane.

It could be like Star Trek bridge crew except everyone is completely helpless and can’t actually do anything other than maybe throw food.

2 Likes

Can you get Knee Defender as an in app purchase?

3 Likes

Ha ha! Love the idea!

Only issue i have is the realism… for example, the Sudoku and crosswords are not already filled out incorrectly by previous passengers, the plane is way too clean, the in-flight entertainment system works and there’s not a really annoying person in the seat next to you. (edited)

Other than that, I can’t wait to play!

3 Likes

As a fat person who oozes into the seat next to me, thanks for noticing.
We all do our part with humanity and dignity.

3 Likes

They’re also missing that boor on the other side of you making fat-phobic jokes, so thank you for completing the experience…

3 Likes

It’s Desert Bus 2!

5 Likes

I wonder whose life is so exciting they have to play all those boring simulations to wind down. Or is it people are having so extremely boring lives that they find this actually exciting? :thinking:

2 Likes

I hope they make some expansion:
First one is super lounge mode, where you board on a 1970s plane in first class ot the Concorde itself with awesome hostess.
Second one, the Airplane! mode where both the pilot have food poisoning and all goes full of puns
Third one, the Air Crash investigation where due a faiule an emergency landing is tried and you and the other passengers are stranded in an airport in the middle of nowhere all because someone forgot an o ring somewhere in the plane.

2 Likes

Zeppelin mode with fancy cocktails and a magnesium piano (but no explodey Zeppelins).

1 Like

Not sure why anyone would voluntarily want to have the experience of coach-class flying.

2 Likes

This is useful to remind myself of the reasons I largely avoid air travel having flown over 2M miles mostly in coach.

In a world where Desert Bus exists; a video game about flying coach somehow seems only fitting.

1 Like

Make a version for the Shinkansen, and I’m sold.

http://www.realrailway.com/en/chitose/simulator.html

1 Like

“Sit back, relax, and enjoy.”

Enjoy? That’s not realistic.

It’s like a modern version of Desert Bus.