AIs have existential crisis too, in 'Sea of Rust'

Originally published at: AIs have existential crisis too, in 'Sea of Rust' | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Martha Well’s Murderbot series is also working this vein…every one of the books explores some of the same things we see in our world. Starting to think this “speculative fiction” thing might catch on.

7 Likes

I have also enjoyed and reviewed the MurderBot series.

7 Likes

This reminds me of a classic SF story, but I can’t quite recall the name. The war is over, all humans are gone. A battle robot is trying to build a new bot from some parts, but its manipulators are only designed for combat. A statue of a small boy figures in the story. Ring any bells for anyone?

edit to add: Totally forgot to mention I just ordered Sea of Rust. @jlw Thanks for clueing me in with the review!

1 Like

C. Robert Cargill also did an excellent duo in “Dreams and Shadows” (#1) and “Queen of the Dark Things” (#2) if robots are not so much your favorite topic, and “Fantasy creatures living just barely hidden from people” is more your style. Very reminiscent of some of Neil Gaiman’s works.

2 Likes

Didn’t realise there’s now a prequal, so thanks for that, although the amazon link to Day Zero is incorrect btw.

I’m reading this Right Now thanks to the recommendation. It’s pretty damn good. I mean, I love Murderbot more, but I love Murderbot more than a lot of things, including some family members. The plot has a ‘Treasure of the Sierra Madre’ vibe, only with killer robots (so, fucking great fun). Anyone jonesing for more weird robot futures should check out Tony Ballantyne’s Penrose series.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.