Al Jazeera America is shutting down

[Read the post]

2 Likes

Pity but there was really no point delivering news critical of orthodoxy regarding foreign affairs and attitudes to Muslims. Deaf ears.

It’s not just the U.S., all of the western world is blind to the extraordinary violence and racism and perceives itself as the victim.

Sadly Muslims are kind of like the Jews of the 21st century. We just don’t learn.

15 Likes

I have never really understood why there was an Al Jazeera America in addition to Al Jazeera English for everybody else who doesn’t speak Arabic.

7 Likes

Al Jazeera English is just an English language version of their normal content. I.e. some hard-working translators and nothing more. Al Jazeera America actually had staff in America with journalists going out and reporting on issues in America. Ironically they often did a better job of it than any American news agencies, sad to see them go.

28 Likes

“lawsuits from former employees that included complaints about sexism and anti-Semitism at the news channel.”

No one saw that coming.

6 Likes

they probably should have called it something else. al jazeera just sounds too, you know, muslim.

6 Likes

That’s not really true. I am sure they share lots of resources, but they have their own anchors, their own programs etc.

2 Likes

My local cable company never carried it. I probably would have watched it if they did. I did ask them to.

i have really appreciated their online content – i hope they can continue that, at least.

5 Likes

Even just “Bob Jazeera” would be an improvement.

11 Likes

What about Bob Trumpzeera?

3 Likes

Well, it’s not all bad news.

Mr. Anstey said that once the cable news network shuts down by April 30, Al Jazeera would expand its digital presence in the United States. The expansion “would bring new global content into America.”

6 Likes

That’s a shame. Their content was top notch. I’m sure morons mixing up al Jazeera and al Quaeda constantly didn’t help matters.

4 Likes

Well, they’ve already gone and hired a CEO named Al.

2 Likes

I think you’re right on that. I must admit that seeing it for the first time, I too was initially put off by the name/brand identity. (“Am I watching some Saudi propaganda stooges?” - Of course, all commercial TV stations are basically propaganda outlets for someone…)

2 Likes

A better question is “Am I watching some Qatari propaganda stooges?” The answer is probably not but since it is owned by the Qatari government, it is a legitimate question. That’s not to say you won’t find worse propaganda from American corporate TV.

5 Likes

that’s good to hear. thanks!

Knew this was coming from day one.

Americans are fine with getting their news from foreigners as long as they don’t know it’s from foreigners. You pick a name like BBC or Al Jazeera rather than say, FOX, and people focus on that instead of the content.

Also, they were doing old-fashioned objective long form journalism. Americans want their news in simplistic, bite-sized clips that already align with their established opinions.

Believe me when I say I’d like almost nothing more than a return to real journalism, but the fact is that you want to do it here, then your first and foremost concern needs to be in how you package and sell it. Truth doesn’t mean a whole lot when nobody listens to it.

3 Likes

desertFOX should work, though : )

1 Like

Yeah, I later found out that it’s based in Qatar (and that the propaganda angle is not entirely out of question), but my initial uninformed reaction was as given - even though I like to think of myself as an unprejudiced, open person.