Alabama doctor refuses to treat patients who reject Covid vaccine

Originally published at: Alabama doctor refuses to treat patients who reject Covid vaccine | Boing Boing

10 Likes

Napoleon Dynamite GIF

36 Likes

It’s only freedom when I don’t want to do something. When you don’t, it’s oppression!

51 Likes

This is a good message but not a strong or clear enough one for covidiots: if you don’t trust the system now, don’t attempt to clog it later.

21 Likes

I :cupid: Dr. Valentine.

22 Likes

Unlike refusing to treat the children of gay couples, this one has at least a baseline rational basis of concern for the safety of the doctor and patients seen at a place

28 Likes

I’m wondering if today’s Libertarian-anarchist-paranoiacs could be transported back in time to when US cities still had no sewerage, and people dumped out chamber pots from their bedroom windows, if that would illustrate the problem with “personal freedoms” when it comes to “public health.”

28 Likes

I don’t think the ER docs will have the legal ability to refuse service. :confused:

7 Likes

My doctor (in PA) doesn’t have a sign, but it’s also the first question he asked me I showed up.
However when I asked him if he requires his staff to be vaccinated, he said no. WTF?

28 Likes

I also wonder if it may run afoul of state medical board rules.

1 Like

Free market vs the traditional MD oath; no idea how this will turn out, but I do understand the doc’s motivation.

20 Likes

That’s not hard to do these days. We aren’t New Zealand, for chrisesakes.

(Red is bad, btw.)

5 Likes

Either everyone’s moved out of Nebraska, or they’re lying.

20 Likes

No, it’s definitive proof that COVID-19 is caused by 5G!!!

26 Likes

Depends on the state. There are states that allow any medical provider, including EMT’s, to refuse care to those “violating a sincerely held religious belief.” This is generally employed to deny care to LGBTQ individuals, of course, but it is not written that way.

A New Tennessee Law Offers LGBT-Related Religious Exemptions to Counselors, Joining a Similar Doctor-Related Law in Mississippi - The Atlantic

‘Religious freedom’ rule could cause ‘significant damage’ to LGBTQ health care, advocates say (nbcnews.com)

17 Likes

off topic
So I’m guessing the white lines outline counties? How come they’re much smaller in the south east and large in the south west?
Some kind of historical reasons mixed with environment?

2 Likes

I made a gif.

redmenace_shorter

4 Likes

Depends on the patient.

An unvaccinated covid patient can be treated like someone who is radioactive or with Ebola. Someone requiring extraordinary care beyond the resources of the doctor, due to potential danger to people rendering treatment.

8 Likes

Not necessarily - people refusing the vaccine are a(n avoidable) health hazard to the doctor, their staff and other patients (both directly and indirectly). So there’s certainly an argument to be made that they’re adhering to the oath still.

15 Likes

I was thinking about ‘Do No Harm,’ and the basic ideal of treating everyone who needs it, whether they are selfish, idiotic assholes or not.

I see your point though, and I hate it that this is even a relevant conversation.

17 Likes