Alabama population shrunk in 2020 due to Covid, first time in state's history

Originally published at: Alabama population shrunk in 2020 due to Covid, first time in state's history | Boing Boing

7 Likes

Get vaccinated! It’s good for the economy and it’s good for white popu… Nevermind.

9 Likes

37 Likes

Can confirm.

22 Likes

Sending internet hug, should receive shortly.

20 Likes

Sorry, but I must get pedantic about this: more deaths than births does not necessarily mean that the population shrunk. To determine whether depopulation actually occurred, you must also account for how many people have moved into or out of the state.

18 Likes

Nancy Pelosi GIF by GIPHY News

16 Likes

Not enough moved out - I still have family there.

13 Likes

Shouldn’t that sign have bullet holes?

3 Likes

Live free or (and?) die, literally. I actually support people’s right to choose for themselves, but I have a problem when kids’ safety may likely be jeopardized by parents’ decisions.

1 Like

In a place like Florida that attracts a lot of elderly retirees who are born elsewhere and choose a new state to die in, that’s certainly possible. Hard to imagine that’s the case in Alabama though.

4 Likes

fair point.
https://depts.washington.edu/moving1/Alabama.shtml

5 Likes

Vaccinations are a public health issue, not a personal choice issue. They are choosing to kill other people for their “freedoms”… children included.

33 Likes

People. Do. Not. Live. In. A. Vacuum.

Any discussion of individual rights that does not include responsibility to the community as a top priority is some Randian bullshit.

28 Likes

Congratulations, Know-Nothing death cultists! You’re quickly driving your area of the country back to developing nation status.

Since I can’t inform these morons in Alabama I’ll settle for educating you: a pandemic virus doesn’t care about individual choice. If too many people choose badly or stupidly in the midst of a pandemic, people who made the right choice or who have no choice may still get sick or die, either from the initial coronavirus or a variant the emerges from a backwards place like Alabama.

17 Likes

Huh, never would have guessed that. All about the low cost of living, I guess? (Living won’t cost as much as long as you do less of it)

8 Likes

When the scourge of Covid is over, we need a do-over on the census.

8 Likes

I support people’s right to choose whether they want to catch Covid-19 for themselves, but people who care more about “rights” around the comparatively harmless vaccines are making that difficult.

i_just_dont_trust_them_2x

13 Likes

I hear there were a surprising number of homes coming on the market last year.

10 Likes

That surprised me too.

2 Likes