Alabama thought it was a good idea to spend $21,000 to imprison a man for having $10 worth of weed

This should put it further in perspective:

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/03/14/593204274/alabama-sheriff-legally-took-750-000-meant-to-feed-inmates-bought-beach-house

3 Likes

It’s the south. They don’t have the ability to turn a profit industrially without involving enslavement.

We took their slaves away and they’ve never bben able to recover and become a real part of the first world.

3 Likes

Interactive map.
Interesting.

5 Likes

Stupid is as stupid does. I’m starting to think that maybe the US should, actually, break up. The Europeans will be fucked when Russia invades, but I guess we’re deep into the “we’ll deal with that when we get there” era.

“. . . off the street for 15 months” And off the voting lists for the rest of his life. That’s the real purpose of their criminal ‘justice’ system.

4 Likes

Whatever lies they tell you, remember and understand that the illegality of marijuana is solely due to racism. And when the ignorance, stupidity, hatred, and downright insanity of racism comes into play, there is no amount of money racists won’t pay to feed their beast.

4 Likes

Yup, and enforcement of environmental and labor regulations comparable to an undeveloped country. And meth. Meth, everywhere.

Can’t wait to go back next month! (/s, in case it’s necessary.)

@YetiLives: You have no idea. It took counties close to the Mississippi border until about 10 years ago to realize how much tax revenue they were missing out on by keeping alcohol sales illegal. It’ll be another century before the revenue potential of legal weed strikes some Alabama politician with the appropriate epiphany.

2 Likes

I feel like the best thing you can ever get from Alabama is to get far away from Alabama.

3 Likes

Nina Simone is ALWAYS topical…

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.