Alabama university professors placed on leave after wearing a Confederate uniform, posing with whip and noose at campus costume party

Originally published at: Alabama university professors placed on leave after wearing a Confederate uniform, posing with whip and noose at campus costume party | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Perhaps a “slightly” unwise move in the present climate, eh?

4 Likes

That’s a really lousy “confederate uniform”. It looks very mass produced, which raises a whole 'nother set of issues.

17 Likes

Are they sure that’s a confederate costume and not just an off duty Alabama cop? :wink:

10 Likes

Fuck’s sake. What is wrong with these people? Why would they - professors, no less - think dressing in a Confederate uniform, and having a noose and a whip, was a good idea at any time, let alone in 2014? Jesus fucking christ.

24 Likes

Oh it absolutely would be. But these folks did it in 2014. And the noose and whip weren’t part of the confederate costume.

There’s a lot the headlines are doing to stir up the outrage on this one. I don’t think this should go unnoticed or uncommented on, but punishing people for something they did almost 7 years ago is something our notoriously harsh penal system rarely even does.

3 Likes

The real ones kind of sucked compared to their Union counterparts too due to their comparative lack of manufacturing capacity and limited access to quality materials like wool.

12 Likes

Mm. Could use some editing. Hope you don’t mind!

That’s better!

28 Likes

I know 2014 was another age most people only know through history books but I’m pretty sure that shit wouldn’t fly then either.

26 Likes

To be fair, the span between November 2016 and January 2021 did last five centuries.

31 Likes

Negative attention whoring combined with the expectation of “no-consequences White privilege;” that’s the only thing I can fathom at this point.

16 Likes

I vaguely recall some people dressed up in uniforms like that way back in the 1860s as part of some racist movement, and a lot of them actually got shot for their trouble even then.

23 Likes

You don’t see the connection between a CSA soldier’s uniform, a whip, and a noose, all gathered together for a group shot of 3 full-grown adults with responsible jobs a mere 6+ years ago?

That takes a lot of effort, to not see it.

Doesn’t take any effort to recognize an apologist for such behavior, though.

22 Likes

i was curious what kind of professors they were – sounds like the uniform of the break-away, pro-enslavement army was at the time:

Finance Economics, Finance and Real Estate and Dean of the Mitchell College of Business

the other man is a:

Professor of Marketing. He has been at USA for nigh on twelve years [his] recent work focuses on Sovereign Wealth Funds and the role of private/corporate foreign investment in the economic development of small island and Caribbean economic development of small island and Caribbean economies

and the other person:

Assistant Professor of Management research interests focus on employee training and development, performance improvement strategies, training transfer and evaluation, and effective communication skills

at least they aren’t training upcoming business leaders and heads of hr … oh wait.

[edit for hitting the post button too soon. also, who says “nigh” in their own bio? ]

17 Likes

Otherwise, all people that should have known better.

Kind of makes you wonder if there’s some context like this was a college “wear your most offensive costume” party (I’ve seen people dressed like giant bloody sanitary pads, as well as blatantly racist costumes in situations like that).

Even then, going the racist route is dumb, posing for pics is idiotic, and doing while you’re any sort of institutional authority figure is absolutely boggling.

12 Likes

yeah… considering that one of them is involved with the corporate economic development of the caribbean … that has “exploitation by white people” written all over it.

my rough take would be they knew exactly what they were doing, and that the things they encourage of their students on the daily is probably worse than their terrible costume choices.

10 Likes

True, they really shouldn’t be held accountable for actions when their brains were still in the early stages of development…in their 50s… /S

9 Likes

Higher education? Not from those aholes…

images-2

7 Likes

Very shoddy.

4 Likes

Losers. After all these years, still fucking losers.

4 Likes