Alanis Morissette's daughter adorably interrupts her 'Fallon' performance

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/31/alanis-morissettes-daughter.html

13 Likes

Adorable!

alanis-grin-dogma

18 Likes

She may be more “adorable” than “Jagged” but she can be a Little Pill from time to time.

9 Likes

Genius. The song is to her daughter after all.

9 Likes

Adorable, and didn’t spoil my enjoyment of the song at all. I take it there was a song. I was somewhat distracted.

7 Likes

Prefer Wesley willis

2 Likes

Is it ironic?

Heheh I see I am not the only one to have “adorable” come to mind. :slight_smile: This is quite sweet – I’m such a sensitive 90s guy, I actually got a little choked up. I can’t believe there’s not a happy-choked-up emoji, wtf?

8 Likes

That was AWESOME!!! Thanks.

3 Likes

Love it!

2 Likes

It must be amazing to open your mouth and have a great singing voice come out.

8 Likes

That was exactly my thought. I love seeing well known singers in a less formal setting like this. I find it stunning when the familiar famous voice comes out. If AM was my housemate, I would never tire of asking her to sing at breakfast. I’m sure she would eventually get very annoyed by me.

4 Likes

That has absolutely made my day! Such an adorable kid, and such a great relationship they have.
Though how Alannis can sing like that while holding her girl up is quite beyond me! I think she’s singing better than ever, her voice is richer, with more depth, although, from what I was told by another singer/songwriter, Thea Gilmore, after having a child the voice does change, Thea’s certainly did.
Looking forward to AM’s new album now.

7 Likes

Wfh, ftw.

I don’t think.

How do they manage latency? It seems like that would be a huge problem (unless you pre-recorded all the bits, or had separate camera feeds in the same physical location).

I guess nobody ever explicitly says this is a live performance…

2 Likes

Pretty much all these talk-show full-band appearances are pre-recorded separately then mixed for the airing. Same with the various show’s house bands, except for bits where they banter with the host (Fallon’s the only one back in the studio at this point, with the band distanced from him and one another).

3 Likes

A priceless memory for both.

1 Like

It doesn’t seem like an “interruption” – she just has her daughter helping her. Although it might have been a last-minute decision after the wee one decided she wasn’t going to stay behind the camera.

I wondered that at first, but if you think about it, the answer has to be “they don’t”. Even if the production sent an outside broadcast kit to everyone’s home, the technology just doesn’t exist to do this with live-music latency. But if they’re each performing to the same prerecorded backing track(s), then it could be done live, with just a very short delay to allow the studio engineers to sync up all the feeds. Although pre-recording the whole thing would be easier. Especially since late-night shows don’t go out live anyway.

If you wanted performers to be able to improvise live, I guess you could use old-school landline phones for their earpieces. IIUC that’s still mostly circuit-switched.

3 Likes

It occurs to me that latency of some fraction of a second would be a problem… but latency of exactly one beat, or one measure, would be a managable annoyance. I see musicians doing clever tricks with looping machines, a networked jam session wouldn’t be all that much weirder…

1 Like