David Byrne performed "Once in a Lifetime" on SNL last week and it was excellent

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/02/david-byrne-performed-once-i.html

16 Likes

The original 1980 music video, choregraphed by the inimitable Toni Basil (who – btw – did same for Quentin Tarantino’s latest film):

15 Likes

The performance looks a bit like he is singing a TED Talk.

24 Likes

best performance in recent memory. it brought a welcomed and unexpected tear to my eye!

16 Likes

I’ve always loved the power chords at the end of the song (I think on the original studio recording they were played on a distorted organ), so it’s nice to see him really accentuate that part of the song here.

10 Likes

Angelique Kidjo just whomped a cover version with amazing video a year or two back:

Side note: I would rock those pantsuits if I were so blessed as to own them.

26 Likes

I watched it live–he and Mulaney really brought it home!

6 Likes

You’re right! The song is about the things we’re unconscious of.

5 Likes

File Under Musical Things to Consider:

WIKI: Eno and Talking Heads developed “Once in a Lifetime” through extensive jams, inspired by Afrobeat musicians such as Fela Kuti.

19 Likes

Tell the children: watch Stop Making Sense!

13 Likes

Lately I’ve been learning that lots of people don’t realize how many performances on SNL are just a lip sync. So I took this one to be, at least in part, a shot at that practice: “We will sing it live, with four part harmony and full orchestration, and you will have no doubt that we are playing these instruments, too.”

I absolutely loved it.

16 Likes

There are a lot of spoken parts in this particular song and they are spoken quickly, it would be difficult to lip synch that. The music would be definitely easier to do. I loved the performance, although I expected him to play at least one newer song from his repertoire.

3 Likes

Stop Making Sense is my comfort food movie

9 Likes

Lately I’ve been learning that lots of people don’t realize how many performances on SNL are just a lip sync.

They’ve def. had some acts that do lip synching (Ashley Simpson anyone?) but it’s actually refreshing to hear a lot of artists and bands with a live mix.

I’ve heard plenty of bad-sounding big acts because they’re used to playing big arenas. Coldplay’s performance of Viva la Vida in '08 comes to mind as one that had a pretty miserable performance of one of their biggest hits.

Chris Martin’s vocals were terribly off pitch through the entire song!

3 Likes

Would you mind describing the audience and how this piece was received (in general) by the audience?

David Byrne is a fricken’ creative genius, IMHO. That recent SNL performance was terrific, with enough homage paid to the original, but with an incredibly fresh arrangement and instrumentation. Awesome choreography as well and great performances by all concerned.

His newsletter always highlights some interesting music that he is hearing and seeing, and well worth signing up for. http://davidbyrne.com/

13 Likes

She covered the entirety of Remain in Light, too, which is an amazing album…

8 Likes

The audience? I dunno, I wasn’t in the audience, I watched it on TV, but it was VERY apparent that he was off key. It’s a darn tough clip to track down online too. My guess is, they were aware immediately after how off pitch he was!

This was the best I could find in a few seconds on Google:
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081025212156AAMokQ6

Oh, thanks anyway, I thought ou were in the SNL audience last weekend.

Thanks for posting, Mark. That made me very very happy.

5 Likes