Talking Heads are reuniting for one day only, David Byrne "regrets" being a "little tyrant"

Originally published at: Talking Heads are reuniting for one day only, David Byrne "regrets" being a "little tyrant" | Boing Boing

5 Likes

I’m really look forward to this. I believe it’s been just about 40 years since I last saw it, when it was still playing in theaters. We tore up the aisles dancing. We figured we’d be unlikely to ever see them stuck in central Maine as we were, and it really is a truly remarkable concert film.

13 Likes

I took a film class as an undergrad. Saw many “interesting” (i.e., technically significant for techniques used) but not entertaining films. Stop Making Sense was an exception. Looking forward to seeing it again.

Also, Tom Jones and The Cardigans do a good cover of Burning Down the House:

7 Likes

Man, he’s probably gonna be too old for eventually but I guess Cillian Murphy will be playing David Byrne in the Talking Heads movie.

4 Likes

I saw the Talking Heads at the Bronco Bowl in Dallas in the early 1980’s. It was a wonderful show! Looking forward to this and I hope the panel will be available online.

6 Likes

Yeah, Tina Weymouth has been pretty vocal about her distaste for Byrne. She’s mellowed a bit if she’s willing to be on a panel with him, but I doubt she’s willing to do more than that.

4 Likes

Well, he treated her pretty bad, so I kind of don’t blame her. He himself admitted that he was kind of a dick to the rest of the band. :woman_shrugging:

5 Likes

Oh, I don’t blame her at all, lol. I am just happy that she’s moved on, even somewhat. I hope I catch a recording of the panel sometime.

1 Like

I thought their best revenge for how they were treated came before “stop making sense”: they made a Tom Tom club album and had bigger international hits than Talking Heads did, thus forcing their hits to be played on that tour.

Byrne was fuming!

5 Likes

If a band gets back together and nobody hears them play, does that make a reunion?

5 Likes

Exactly. Headline is misleading. They’re “appearing together” not “reuniting”.

3 Likes

I skipped a day of high school to see it at a theater in Northampton, MA on its premier. I haven’t seen it in almost 40 years either.

3 Likes

I’m only a 2.5 hour drive from Toronto. I could totally do that.

Of course it’ll be sold out before tickets go on sale to the general public…

1 Like

I’ve seen it streaming relatively recently, but yea. I remember seeing it in the theater WAY back when as well.
Then it played every weekend as the midnight movie at the Camera Theater in San Jose. We went several times after work. Good times.

Also, so far as Byrne goes, who the hell DOESN’T have shit they could apologize from their 20s and 30s… JFC, I’d be here all day.

4 Likes

William S Burroughs once said something to the effect of:

"THOU SHALT NOT BE SUCH A S### YOU DONT KNOW YOU ARE ONE!

Who among us hasn’t said 'Oh, I was such a s###?
BEHOLD! For THAT is your moment of redemption!"

1 Like

… WSB was such a shit he managed to be a bad influence on three different generations :thinking:

2 Likes

And murder a wife. What an awful person.

2 Likes

Saw it at the Prince Charles Cinema in Leicester Square a few years back. There was indeed dancing in the aisles, including people accurately mimicking the dance moves, and running up and down continuously during one song.

And the 4k restoration is out at the end of September… :grin:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.