Alec Guinness's well-paid half day of work on "The Empire Strikes Back"

guiness

3 Likes

raises hand
Present and accounted for!

While he may have pooh-poohed the role in various interviews, he didn’t treat it as lesser when on screen. he gave it his serious chops, and it shows.

6 Likes
3 Likes

Depends on the contract, and him, if he “sold” them rights to tax efficient vehicle, which any good accountant would have told him to, then its lilkly property of trust that pays no tax and benefits his kids. so would more than likley survive him, unless the original contract stated that his 2.25% claim died when he did.

2 Likes

Seeing Mayhew arc welding in a full body fur suit is pretty scary.

The accent gives these shots a sort of “Mighty Boosh” feel.

5 Likes

I remember seeing an interview with Ewan McGregor, who brushed up on his Obi Wan studies when he landed the role. He was in awe that, among other things, Alec Guinness could make these ridiculous lines sound like actual conversation.

ETA: And I agree - Alec Guinness was a professional in Star Wars, and everywhere else, it seems.

My favourite bits of his work (that I’ve seen) are when he plays George Smiley. I love the how in episode 1 of Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, at the beginning he positively radiates “bumbling old guy, not quite fool, but…” Then in the last minute, his spymaster professionalism comes back. When he tilts his head and his eyes disappear into shadows behind his glasses, we can see the razor-sharp mind that knows more than you do, and is asking you some very pointed questions… All with a few tilts of the head and working the light. Amazing stuff.

9 Likes

… that video made me feel like my Babel fish finally started working :fish:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.